1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Proof

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If
    c=|a|b+|b|a where a,b, and c are all non zero vectors, show that c bisects the angle between a and b

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm taking the approach to prove that the angle between b and c= the angle between c and a

I have written the fact that a[itex]\bullet[/itex]b=|a||b|cos [itex]\theta[/itex]
    However, I'm not sure how I can work the equation for c to be able to apply the identity.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

as you know they are in the same plane and c will be between a and b
    [tex]a \bullet b = |a||b|cos\theta [/tex]
    [tex]c \bullet b = |c||b|cos\phi [/tex]

and the show [itex]\phi = 2\theta [/itex]

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting.

I can draw the relationship

|a||b|cos [itex]\theta[/itex] = |c||b| cos 2[itex]\theta[/itex]

I can eliminate the |b| from both sides, but I don't know where to go from there, since |c| doesn't seem to help when substituting.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then get rid of "c". You are given that c= |a|b+ |b|a so that c.b= (|a|b+ |b|a).b= |a||b|^2+ |b|a.b.

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    I can replace the c[itex]\bullet[/itex]b side with what you've suggested but then how am I supposed to include that it is twice the angle. I loose this ability without the trigonometric function.

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6
    Can anyone help me?

8. Sep 16, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

try doing what Halls suggested and let us see what you get

9. Sep 16, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is this actually true?

10. Sep 16, 2011 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're not supposed to assume it's twice the angle. That's what you're trying to prove!

Note that HallsofIvy's suggestion [itex]\vec{c}\cdot\vec{b} = ab^2+b(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})[/itex] has the dot product of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex] in it. That will introduce [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] into the equation.

You can get rid of [itex]c = \sqrt{\vec{c}\cdot\vec{c}}[/itex] from the righthand side by again using the definition of [itex]\vec{c}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook