Proving c Bisects the Angle Between a and b

• Thread starter themadhatter1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the problem is to prove that the angle between vectors a and b is bisected by vector c, where c=|a|b+|b|a and a, b, and c are all non-zero vectors in the same plane. To do this, we can use the dot product formula a•b=|a||b|cosθ and the given equation c=|a|b+|b|a to manipulate the equations and eliminate variables. This leads to the equation c•b=ab^2+b(a•b), which can be simplified to |a||b|cosθ=|c||b|cos2θ. From here, we can use the definition of c to eliminate it
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

If
c=|a|b+|b|a where a,b, and c are all non zero vectors, show that c bisects the angle between a and b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm taking the approach to prove that the angle between b and c= the angle between c and a

I have written the fact that a[itex]\bullet[/itex]b=|a||b|cos [itex]\theta[/itex]
However, I'm not sure how I can work the equation for c to be able to apply the identity.

Physics news on Phys.org
as you know they are in the same plane and c will be between a and b
[tex]a \bullet b = |a||b|cos\theta [/tex]
[tex]c \bullet b = |c||b|cos\phi [/tex]

and the show [itex]\phi = 2\theta [/itex]

I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting.

I can draw the relationship

|a||b|cos [itex]\theta[/itex] = |c||b| cos 2[itex]\theta[/itex]

I can eliminate the |b| from both sides, but I don't know where to go from there, since |c| doesn't seem to help when substituting.

Then get rid of "c". You are given that c= |a|b+ |b|a so that c.b= (|a|b+ |b|a).b= |a||b|^2+ |b|a.b.

I can replace the c[itex]\bullet[/itex]b side with what you've suggested but then how am I supposed to include that it is twice the angle. I loose this ability without the trigonometric function.

Can anyone help me?

try doing what Halls suggested and let us see what you get

themadhatter1 said:
I can draw the relationship

|a||b|cos [itex]\theta[/itex] = |c||b| cos 2[itex]\theta[/itex]
Is this actually true?

themadhatter1 said:
I can replace the c[itex]\bullet[/itex]b side with what you've suggested but then how am I supposed to include that it is twice the angle. I [strike]loose[/strike] lose this ability without the trigonometric function.
You're not supposed to assume it's twice the angle. That's what you're trying to prove!

Note that HallsofIvy's suggestion [itex]\vec{c}\cdot\vec{b} = ab^2+b(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})[/itex] has the dot product of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex] in it. That will introduce [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] into the equation.

You can get rid of [itex]c = \sqrt{\vec{c}\cdot\vec{c}}[/itex] from the righthand side by again using the definition of [itex]\vec{c}[/itex].

1. What does it mean for c to bisect the angle between a and b?

When c bisects the angle between a and b, it means that c divides the angle into two equal parts, creating two angles with the same measure.

2. How can you prove that c bisects the angle between a and b?

To prove that c bisects the angle between a and b, you can use the angle bisector theorem. This theorem states that if a ray divides an angle into two equal parts, then it is the angle bisector. You can also show that the two resulting angles have the same measure.

3. What are some properties of c when it bisects the angle between a and b?

When c bisects the angle between a and b, it has some important properties. Firstly, it passes through the vertex of the angle. Secondly, it creates two congruent angles with a and b. Lastly, it divides the angle into two equal parts.

4. Can c bisect the angle between a and b at any point?

No, c must intersect a and b at a specific point in order to bisect the angle between them. This point is called the vertex of the angle. If c intersects a and b at a different point, it will not bisect the angle.

5. How is proving c bisects the angle between a and b useful in geometry?

Proving that c bisects the angle between a and b is useful in geometry because it allows us to find the measure of unknown angles and to solve geometric problems involving bisectors. It also helps us understand the relationship between angles and their bisectors.