1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Proof

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that sum of the cosines squared of the angles between a vector and the x, y, and z axes equals 1. Prove using either geometry or vector algebra.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]cos^2(\theta_x)+cos^2(\theta_y)+cos^2(\theta_z)=1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by trying to pull out the angles with
    [itex]\cos^{-1}[/itex]
    Getting
    [itex]\theta_x+\theta_y+\theta_z=0+2k\pi[/itex]
    (Edit: This is no longer valid)
    This doesn't make sense to me since I know that the maximum sum of the angles can only be around 180 degrees (I think). So I thought maybe the geometric approach would have something to do with triangles. But I don't know how to show that analytically.
    (Edit: Still clueless)

I'm also lost on how to start with the vector algebra. I'm looking over the identities of vectors now but to no avail.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2
    Are you sure the problem doesn't say the sum of the squares of the cosines?

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3
    Aaaah, edited :D

Edit: I sort of haven't looked at the book in a while and have been banging my head so hard I must have forgotten that important part :D

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4
    Hmm, so let's see, if there's 3 triangles between the vector and the axes, you can use Pythagorean theorem to get the cosine squared of each component right?

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5
    I don't quite follow. Provide more details, please (in the form of equations).

Chet

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6
    What I'm saying is if you treat the components of the vector in relation to each axis, you can break the components into [itex]A cos(\theta_x), A cos(\theta_y), A cos(\theta_z)[/itex] right? That's how you would relate the vectors position in relation to the axes to cosine?

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7
    Good so far. what next?

Chet

9. Jan 10, 2015 #8
    Can I imagine that this is 2 dimensional instead of 3 and put the vector on a 2D plane to use pythagorean theorem to get them to be squared?
    [itex]c^2=A^2 cos^2(\theta_x)+A^2 cos^2(\theta_y)[/itex]

That's how I was visualizing earlier too it, but it gets rid of the z component, so I'm not sure how I can bring the z axis back into the equation.

10. Jan 10, 2015 #9
    The left side of this equation should be A2. Does this give you a hint as to what to do in 3D?

Chet

11. Jan 10, 2015 #10
    The Pythagorean identity for 3D vectors is [itex]A^2 = A_x^2+A_y^2+A_z^2[/itex] but I didn't think it would be that easy that I could just use that willy nilly for this problem. But it makes sense. So:

[itex]A^2 = A^2 cos^2(\theta_x)+A^2 cos^2(\theta_y)+A^2cos^2(\theta_z)[/itex]

Divide by [itex]A^2[/itex]

Aaaaand finished.

Still not sure why I didn't get that originally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted