1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Proofs using vector components

1. Sep 11, 2003 #1
    Hi! I'm new to the forums. I'm taking an introduction to physics class this semester and I've been having some difficulty with it. Oh, I also wanted to let you know that it's been a while since I've taken calculus or any other math class for that matter. But I need physics to graduate. Anywho ... the question that I have deals with vector components.

Two vectors of magnitudes a and b make an angle theta (which I'll represent as @) with each other when placed tail to tail. Prove, by taking components along two perpendicular anes, that

r = the square root of (a^2 + b^2 + 2abcos@)

gives the magnitude of the sum vector R (vector R = r with that arrow above it) of the two vectors.

Well this is what I have so far:

vector A = Axi + Ayi
    vector B = Bxi + Byi
    vector R = vector A + vector B

A^2 = Ax^2 + Ay^2
    B^2 = Bx^2 + By^2
    R^2 = A^2 + B^2

A dot B = A*B = ABcos@

I can see how r = square root of (A^2 + B^2) but where does the 2ABcos@ come in. I have a feeling that it deals with the A*B product, but I don't know how to fit it in.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2003 #2
    A dot A=a^2 (a is magn A) A- vector
    B dot B=b^2 -the same-
    =>
    (A+B) dot (A+B)=a^2+b^2+2*A dot B=r^2 (evidently)
    ...so r^2 =a^2+b^2+2*a*b*cos@...
    ...do you really have to use components ???

4. Sep 11, 2003 #3
    well, the problem said to use components .. so i believe so.

thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?