1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Quantities

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Can someone tell, using the unit of a physical measurement, if the measurement is a vector? For example, without knowing about force, can one tell by the unit kg-m/s^2 that force is a vector?

I'm trying to say, for example, thay since the m in kg-m/s^2 is a vector (for example), the whole thing is a vector... I probably sound dumb...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    Does the unit or system have a magnitude of some sort? Does it have a direction of some sort? If it meets both conditions, it's a vector.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Well... let's say I invented a new, unused unit... I'll say m^2/s. Could you tell, just by that unit, if the quantity is a vector?

5. Dec 7, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

No. The units have nothing to do with whether the quantity is a vector or scalar. I could perhaps invent a vector quantity with the units m^2/s and a scalar quantity with the same units. Or even several of each.

Example: take the unit of length, the meter. There is a vector quantity, displacement, and a scalar quantity, distance, that are both measured in meters.

Example 2: Current, measured in amperes, can be a scalar or vector depending on who you ask.

Caveat: for some units, there don't happen to be any meaningful vector quantities associated with them. For example, off the top of my head I can't think of a vector quantity with units of mass. Or time. But there's no mathematical reason that one couldn't be created.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. Dec 7, 2009 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Thanks.

7. Dec 7, 2009 #6
    I am confusing myself a little. When you say "the velocity is 5 m/s north", you really are saying "the magnitude of the velocity vector is 5 m/s, and the direction is north"- so the actual unit is attributed to the magnitude, a scalar. The vector itself doesn't have a unit, but is composed of a set of scalar components, each with their units. From this perspective, only scalars can have units. I could feasibly construct a vector [x,y] in which x and y are scalars with different units, for example in polar coordinates x is a distance and y is dimensionless (the polar angle, in radians, so a ratio of two distances), then there is no convention I know of how to give this vector a unit.

For me it is meaningless to say the vector has units... the vector gives you the location of a point in whatever space you are talking about, and a point does not have units. The distance in that space to a set of normal planes can have units, however, so each component can have units.

Any disagreement with this view?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook