Distance & Direction City A to City C - Vector Question HELP

• Thread starter parwana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation involved finding the straight-line distance and direction between three cities, A, B, and C, given that an airplane flew from A to B and then from B to C in a specific direction. The group discussed using equations and diagrams to find the distance and angle between the cities, and clarified any confusion about the equations provided. They ultimately determined that the cosine rule and SOHCAHTOA could be used to find the distance and direction.
parwana
An airplane flies 200 km due west from city A to city B and then 305 km in the direction of 34.0° north of west from city B to city C.

(a) In straight-line distance, how far is city C from city A?

(b) Relative to city A, in what direction is city C?

for a can't u do a^2 + b^2= c^2?
I tried doing that and it doesn't work, help

or is it 305- 200??

for b I don't know what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
parwana said:
An airplane flies 200 km due west from city A to city B and then 305 km in the direction of 34.0° north of west from city B to city C.

(a) In straight-line distance, how far is city C from city A?

(b) Relative to city A, in what direction is city C?

for a can't u do a^2 + b^2= c^2?
I tried doing that and it doesn't work, help

or is it 305- 200??

for b I don't know what to do?

For A, you need to find a vector that points from city A to city C, let's call it [itex] \vec V_{AC} [/itex]. If you find the magnitude of this vectors ([itex] | \vec V_{AC} | [/itex]) that gives you the length of the vector (ie the straight line distance from A to C.

What would subtracting 305-200 give you?

Instead you need to subtract the components individually.

For B,
I'm not really sure what they are asking. You'll have to wait for someone else to help you. I could guess, but I don't want to confuse the situation.

how do I find magnitude?

Lets say you have a vector [itex] \vec v = \hat i(1) + \hat j(2) [/itex]
I don't know what notation you use to represent components.

The modulus (magnitude) of the vector is [itex] |\vec v| = \sqrt{1^2 + 2^2} [/itex]

Or in general,
[tex] \vec A = (x,y) [/tex]
[tex] | \vec A | = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/tex]

Did you try drawing the diagram out?

C is 34.0 degrees north of west, so that means C is on a bearing of (270 + 34) from B.

Now you've got 305km and 200km and the angle in between in, which "entitles" you to use the cosine rule.

So for part A,

CA^2 = AC^2 + AB^2 - 2(AB)(AC)cos(ABC)

and for part B, they want you to find the angle CAB, and write it in the form eg. 34.0 degrees north of west from xxx.

using the sine rule and the result of part A, i.e CA,

(sin ABC)/CA = (sin CAB)/CB
angle CAB = sin inverse ((BCsinABC)/CA)

therefore, C is XXX degrees north of west from A.

Last edited:
whats AC? in the equation natarae? and what's the value of ABC when u do cos ABC. Sorry I am really bad with physics

I believe AC is the line between points A and C. Thats one leg of the triangle ABC.

RoyalewithCh33s3 said:
I believe AC is the line between points A and C. Thats one leg of the triangle ABC.

yeah but I am not given AC?

AC was what you figured out in part A.

And to figure out angle ABC you could draw a straight line with another line coming off of it at a 34 degree angle. So what do you get for angle ABC? What you get for that you can plug into the equations that natarae gave you because then you'll have CA and angle ABC.

Is that what you were asking?

But I didnt figure out part A yet. Arent I trying to find AC in part A itself?

I am very confused by this, please help

Well I want to know if natarae might have made a mistake in his equation to figure out AC

they wrote:

CA^2 = AC^2 + AB^2 - 2(AB)(AC)cos(ABC)

But I think the AC^2 and the AC are meant to be BC^2 and BC respectively, which would make it possible to find AC.

RoyalewithCh33s3 said:
Well I want to know if natarae might have made a mistake in his equation to figure out AC

they wrote:

But I think the AC^2 and the AC are meant to be BC^2 and BC respectively, which would make it possible to find AC.

I see, that's what I was getting confused on

now I understand, but still what's angle ABC. Wouldnt it just be 34?

Well since the line is 34 degrees north of west, I believe you would have to look at the line like this ___34_\________ so you would have to figure out the supplementary angle, and that would be angle ABC

Oh I see I drew it wrong, in the other direction, so it would be 146

thank u so so much royalewith. I understand

One last question, why do we use cosine instead of sine for the angle?

Because we are using an adjacent leg and the hypoenuse, so according to my favorite math acronym...or whatever its called:

SOHCAHTOA

We are using A and H so we would use cos.

thank u so much

[spam]

No problem, glad to help...now if only I could figure out my own physics :rofl:

[/spam]

What is a vector and how does it relate to distance and direction between cities?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude (size or amount) and direction. In the context of distance and direction between cities, a vector would represent the distance between two cities as well as the direction in which one city is located relative to the other.

How is distance between cities calculated using vectors?

The distance between cities can be calculated using vectors through the use of the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the hypotenuse would represent the distance between the cities, while the other two sides would represent the distances along each direction.

What is the difference between distance and displacement in terms of vectors?

Distance refers to the total length traveled between two points, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between two points. In terms of vectors, distance would be represented by the magnitude of the vector, while displacement would be represented by the direction of the vector.

How can vectors be used to determine the shortest route between two cities?

Vectors can be used to determine the shortest route between two cities by finding the vector that represents the straight-line distance between the two cities and then breaking it down into smaller vectors that represent the distances along different directions. By adding these smaller vectors together, the shortest route can be determined.

Are there any limitations to using vectors to calculate distance and direction between cities?

One limitation to using vectors is that they only represent the straight-line distance and direction between two points. They do not take into account any obstacles or terrain that may affect the actual distance and direction traveled between two cities. Additionally, vectors may not accurately represent the distance and direction in certain situations, such as when traveling over long distances or across curved surfaces.