Vector Question on a golf ball

In summary, the golf ball is hit with an initial speed of 19.1 m/s at an angle of 42.0° with respect to the horizontal on a flat and horizontal golf field. Neglecting air resistance, the ball will fly a distance of 32.79 meters. To find this, the vertical component of the initial velocity must be used to find the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height, which is then plugged into the distance equation. The time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height is 1.29 seconds.
trebashkin

Homework Statement

After a golf ball is hit it takes off with an initial speed of 19.1 m/s and at an angle of 42.0° with respect to the horizontal. The golf field is flat and horizontal. Neglecting air resistance how far will the golf ball fly?

Homework Equations

How high will the golf ball rise?
How much time will the ball spend in the air?
How far would the ball fly if the initial speed was doubled?
How much time would the ball spend in the air in this second case?

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke up the Original Vector into their x and y components.

x component = 14.19
y component = 12.7

I know the acceleration is -9.8m/s. but I don't know which equation to use because you're missing the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
A hint for the first question. What would the vertical velocity be when the ball has reached its maximum height?

It would be zero no?

trebashkin said:
It would be zero no?

Yes it would. Thus, you can use an equation which relates initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration and displacement to one another.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see the question "how far will the ball fly." If I were answering this, I'd do the "how long will the ball stay in the air" part before the "how far will the ball fly" part-- but that's just me!

Last edited:
Correct. Find the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height, using your velocity equation, then plug that time into your distance equation.

Alright so I do

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a x displacement

Vf = 0
Vi = 19.1
a = 19.8

But I get 18.57 and the online assignment says I'm incorrect.

trebashkin said:
Alright so I do

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a x displacement

Vf = 0
Vi = 19.1
a = 19.8

But I get 18.57 and the online assignment says I'm incorrect.

That's because you used 19.1 for your initial velocity. Remember we are considering the vertical direction, so you need to use the vertical initial velocity. Also, a=-9.8

Aha! Alright then, got that answer right. Thanks a bunch.

And now I'm stuck once again. I did what l46kok did and found the time using the maximum height and I found that to be 1.29s

0=12.7-9.8t
1.29s =t

But I plug that into x = xo + vot + 1/2a(t)^2
and I get 32.79 which is wrong. I am not sure if I have the right time..

1. What is a vector on a golf ball?

A vector on a golf ball refers to the direction and force with which the ball moves. It is represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow represents the direction in which the ball will move.

2. How does the vector on a golf ball affect its trajectory?

The vector on a golf ball plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of the ball. The direction and magnitude of the vector will determine the direction and speed at which the ball will travel. A change in the vector can greatly affect the trajectory of the ball, leading to a different landing spot.

3. Can the vector on a golf ball be manipulated?

Yes, the vector on a golf ball can be manipulated through various factors such as the angle of the club face at impact, the speed of the club head, and the spin put on the ball. These factors can be adjusted by the golfer to achieve a desired vector for the ball.

4. What is the difference between vector and spin on a golf ball?

A vector on a golf ball refers to the overall direction and force of the ball, while spin refers to the rotation of the ball. Spin can also affect the trajectory of the ball, but it is not the same as the vector. Spin can be caused by the angle of the club face, the swing path, and the type of club used.

5. Why is understanding the vector on a golf ball important for golfers?

Understanding the vector on a golf ball is important for golfers because it allows them to control the direction and distance of their shots. By manipulating the vector, golfers can adjust their shots to avoid hazards and aim for specific targets on the course. It also allows them to make adjustments for different course conditions and weather factors.