Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector question

1. Dec 14, 2005 #1
    For the vectors in the picture, we're supposed to break down each vector into its x and y components. I dont understand why the x component is given by cos(theta). It seems like it should be sin(theta) to me

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

While waiting for approval, let's assume a Cartesian (x,y) coordinate system with x-axis horizontal and y-axis vertical with positive coordinate in upper right quadrant.

Take F to be in the right half, either above or below. If the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] between F and the x-axis, then the component Fx would be given by F cos [itex]\theta[/itex]. If however, the angle was taken from the y-axis, then Fx would be given by sin [itex]\theta[/itex].

With respect to F, Fx, Fy, think of F as the hypotenuse of a triangle and Fx and Fy as the legs, and then apply the Pythagorean theorem, i.e. appropriate trigonometric relationship.

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The x components are gven by the sine of the respective angles in the diagram you showed. Who said otherwise?

5. Dec 14, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The x component of either vector cannot be [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] or [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex]. There is no [itex]\theta[/itex] in the picture!

If, as is often done- but not in this picture, [itex]\theta[/itex] is measured from the positive x-axis, then the x component of the vector would be given by the length of the vector times [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex].

6. Dec 14, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook