1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector question

1. Jan 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vectors A and B have precisely equal magnitudes. In order for the magnitude of A + B to be 100 times larger than the magnitude of A - B, what must be the angle between them?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely lost. Vectors are a completely new subject to me. I am not familiar with vector algebra notation yet as we haven't yet covered it, but I assume we are to solve this visually/conceptually given what we do know. Any help where to start?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: The scalar product between A+B and A-B is 0, since the 2 vectors are perpendicular.

4. Jan 19, 2007 #3
    Hrm maybe if I had a step by step explanation I would understand what was going on. I didn't even know what "vector" was yesterday. I appreciate the hint daniel, but I still have no idea.
  5. Jan 19, 2007 #4
    Sorry... A and B are not perpendicular

Hints: |A+B| = 100 |A-B|

notice |A+B|^2 = (A+B) dot (A+B) and
    A dot B = |A| |B| cos \theta
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  6. Jan 19, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This seems backwards: actually A+B and A-B are perpendicular (i.e. they have scalar product zero) because A and B are equal magnitude.

Moonworm, if you are just starting vectors, draw a diagram with two vectors from a point, with equal magnitude, and an angle theta between them. Then draw the vectors a+b (using the parallelogram rule) and a-b.

You can find the lengths of a+b and a-b using geometry and trig.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?