1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Question

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Family has a boat which can travel at 12 m/s in still water. They are using it to reach a point 500m downstream on the other side of a river 300m wide, and flowing at 4 m/s. What heading must they take, relative to their starting point, in order to reach their destination?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first drew a triangle, with the side parallel to the river banks 500m, and the side perperndicular 300m. From there, i found that to end up 500m downstream, the resultant direction of travel should be ~59 degrees from the perpendicular (or 31 degrees from the bank).

The rivers current plus the boats motion should result in a velocity in the direction of 59 degrees. So:

\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    4 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}} \right) + \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {12\sin \theta } \\
    {12\cos \theta } \\
    \end{array}} \right) = \lambda \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {100\sqrt {34} \sin 59} \\
    {100\sqrt {34} \cos 59} \\
    \end{array}} \right)

I solved for theta, and found that it equals 49 degrees. So i concluded that to end up 500m downstream, the boat should set off at 49 degrees to the perpendicular of the banks.

Im unsure if that is correct. Also, is there a better way i should have gone about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Are the matrices really necessary? Other than that, that seems like a good way to do it. You can check if its correct by yourself, add up the vectors assuming 49 degrees is correct, see if it gets you where you want.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?