1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Question

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Vector Question

Im doing my homework online because thats where it needs to be done. For answers with unit vector notation in them, I thought that vectors didnt have units. When I put them into the program and select these dont have units...they get marked wrong. Do they have units?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A unit vector is different from a physical unit. Certainly a vector can have a physical unit attached to it. For instance a force is a vector quantity and as you may know, force is measured in units of Newtons (N).

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    There are two forces on the 1.38 kg box in the overhead view of Fig. 5-31 but only one is shown. For F1 = 18.4 N, a = 13.6 m/s2, and θ = 29.2°, find the second force (a) in unit-vector notation. So would the units for A be N??

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
    By the way. Im not asking the problem to be done...I just need units

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?