1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector question

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    Hi there, i'm a bit stuck on this question:

" Given 3 non-coplanar vectors a, b and c convince yourself that the position vector r of any point in space may be represented by

r = λa + μb + γc

for some real numbers λ, μ and γ.

Show that

r.(bxc) = λa.(bxc) ,

r.(axb) = γa.(bxc) ,

r.(cxa) = μa.(bxc) . "

I understand how they get the first one - the cross product of b and c is perpendicular to both of them, so won't contain any b or c components. Hence when you do the dot product you'll be multiplying the b and c bits of r by zero so they disappear. However I don't get the other two...?

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HI kidsmoker! :smile:

No, you're kidding yourself … you don't understand how they got the first one.

They got it by dot-producting both sides of r = λa + μb + γ with (bxc).

Now try dot-producting both sides of r = λa + μb + γ with (axb) instead …

what do you get? :smile:

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    I thought that's what I was doing? axb will be perpendicular to both a and b so won't contain a or b components? So when you dot it with r surely the a and b parts of r will be multiplied by zero?

Btw did you mean to put r = λa + μb + γc rather than r = λa + μb + γ or am I just confused?

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?