1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector question

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    if two vectors, [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] have opposite angles, [tex]\vec{A}[/tex]=(3,-2) [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]=(-3,2) for example, are they considered parralel to each other even though they are in opposite directions

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They are "anti-parallel". "Parallel" for vectors is not quite the same thing as parallel for lines in geometry. For example, we would certainly say that the vectors <2, 1> and <6, 3> are parllel but the lines given by (2t, t) and (6t, 3t) are NOT "parallel". In fact, they are different representations of the same line.

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    in the question i am asking about i am told that vector A is parallel to vector B, and i am supposed to give coordinates of B, am i meant to give just the coordinates of the vector in the same direction or both that and the opposing direction??

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The question doesn't make sense. There are an infinite number of vectors parallel to a given vector A. What other conditions are you given for B?

6. Nov 7, 2008 #5
    thats not really relevant, just wanted to know if i must give both vectors or just the 1
    anyway
    Vector E is parallel to Vector F, E=5cm F=(6,-7)
    what are the values of E

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6
    If E is 5cm, then Sqrt[x^2+y^2] must equal 5cm. And if its parallel to F, it must have the same angle with respect to x-hat, that is ArcTan[y/x] must equal ArcTan[-7/6], which implies -7x = 6y. Two equations and two unknowns. You'll get two possible vectors, one parallel and one anti-parallel.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. Nov 8, 2008 #7
    so in my answer must i just give the parallel vector, not the anti parallel one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook