Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector question

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    if two vectors, [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] have opposite angles, [tex]\vec{A}[/tex]=(3,-2) [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]=(-3,2) for example, are they considered parralel to each other even though they are in opposite directions
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They are "anti-parallel". "Parallel" for vectors is not quite the same thing as parallel for lines in geometry. For example, we would certainly say that the vectors <2, 1> and <6, 3> are parllel but the lines given by (2t, t) and (6t, 3t) are NOT "parallel". In fact, they are different representations of the same line.
  4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    in the question i am asking about i am told that vector A is parallel to vector B, and i am supposed to give coordinates of B, am i meant to give just the coordinates of the vector in the same direction or both that and the opposing direction??
  5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The question doesn't make sense. There are an infinite number of vectors parallel to a given vector A. What other conditions are you given for B?
  6. Nov 7, 2008 #5
    thats not really relevant, just wanted to know if i must give both vectors or just the 1
    Vector E is parallel to Vector F, E=5cm F=(6,-7)
    what are the values of E
  7. Nov 7, 2008 #6
    If E is 5cm, then Sqrt[x^2+y^2] must equal 5cm. And if its parallel to F, it must have the same angle with respect to x-hat, that is ArcTan[y/x] must equal ArcTan[-7/6], which implies -7x = 6y. Two equations and two unknowns. You'll get two possible vectors, one parallel and one anti-parallel.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. Nov 8, 2008 #7
    so in my answer must i just give the parallel vector, not the anti parallel one?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?