1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Question

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. Given A = x^2y.ax — yz.ay + yz^2.az, determine:
    (a) The magnitude of A at point T(2, -1,3)
    (b) The distance vector from T to 5 if S is 5.6 units away from T and in the same direction
    as A at T
    (c) The position vector of S

(a) well for this one just plug in the point T, and solve for A.

(b) How do i calculate this point :S??????????????

(c) well once i find the points S then i can just take that point from the origin to it and thats the position vector. Im just confused about b.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

b) A vector is entirely determined by its magnitude and direction. You are given he magnitude, and you're told the direction, though indirectly. So what you need to do is to figure out the direction by normalising what you are given ie. make it of magnitude 1. Then you should see what to do next.

c)Follows from b.

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    so basically the direction that b refers to is the direction of the distance vector it is asking about. The direction is not of the position vector s? (originally i though the position vector s was in the direction of a)...

5. Jan 15, 2009 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yes you're right. The latter statement is mistaken.
    Don't see where you got that from. Remember that A isn't a vector but a vector function, which means it gives you a direction after you input the coordinate values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?