Calculate A, Distance, & Position Vector of T & S

In summary, In this conversation, the speaker discusses finding the magnitude and distance vector of A at point T(2, -1, 3) and the position vector of S. They suggest plugging in the point T to solve for A and normalizing the given magnitude to determine the direction for the distance vector. They also clarify that the direction being referred to in part b is for the distance vector, not the position vector.
salman213
1. Given A = x^2y.ax — yz.ay + yz^2.az, determine:
(a) The magnitude of A at point T(2, -1,3)
(b) The distance vector from T to 5 if S is 5.6 units away from T and in the same direction
as A at T
(c) The position vector of S

(a) well for this one just plug in the point T, and solve for A.

(b) How do i calculate this point :S?

(c) well once i find the points S then i can just take that point from the origin to it and that's the position vector. I am just confused about b.

Physics news on Phys.org
b) A vector is entirely determined by its magnitude and direction. You are given he magnitude, and you're told the direction, though indirectly. So what you need to do is to figure out the direction by normalising what you are given ie. make it of magnitude 1. Then you should see what to do next.

c)Follows from b.

so basically the direction that b refers to is the direction of the distance vector it is asking about. The direction is not of the position vector s? (originally i though the position vector s was in the direction of a)...

salman213 said:
so basically the direction that b refers to is the direction of the distance vector it is asking about. The direction is not of the position vector s?
Yes you're right. The latter statement is mistaken.
(originally i though the position vector s was in the direction of a)...
Don't see where you got that from. Remember that A isn't a vector but a vector function, which means it gives you a direction after you input the coordinate values.

What is the formula for calculating A?

The formula for calculating A is A = (T - S), where T is the target position vector and S is the source position vector.

How do I find the distance between T and S?

To find the distance between T and S, use the formula d = ||T - S||, where || || denotes the magnitude or length of the vector.

How do I calculate the position vector of T?

The position vector of T can be calculated by subtracting the source position vector S from the target position vector T, using the formula A = T - S.

Can I calculate A, distance, and position vector without knowing the coordinates of T and S?

No, to calculate A, distance, and position vector, you need to know the coordinates of both T and S. Without this information, these quantities cannot be determined.

Is there a difference between distance and position vector?

Yes, distance is a scalar quantity that only represents the length between two points, while position vector is a vector quantity that not only represents the length, but also the direction from one point to another.