1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector question

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Be the vectors a, b, c such as:

| a | = | b | = | c | = 10.5 Angstron

The angles between these vectors are:

alpha = beta = gamma = 109.5 degree

These vectors represent the lattice vectors of a crystal.

Find out their components (a_1, a_2, a_3, b_1, b_2, b_3, c_1, c_2, c_3).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, we know the length of the vectors and the angle between them. We want to find out the components of each vector. I know one has to use the trigonometric functions, but I am not sure how. Should I project the vector a on b (to find a_2) and on c (to find a_3) ? Or how do I find the components of a ?

Thank you very much for any fast answer/hint/suggestion,
    Eduard

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2
    Looks like one of the vectors can be arbitrary, so let a = {10.5, 0.0, 0.0}. Vector b can be assumed to lie in the 1-2 plane without loss of generality, so let b = {10.5 cos(109.5), 10.5 sin(109.5), 0.0}.

You can find vector c using spherical trigonometry. The most expedient way appears to be to solve the spherical right triangle consisting of the head of vector a, the head of vector c, and a point half-way between the heads of vectors a and b. Hope that helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook