1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector question

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    I was given an example in a lecture of a vector question which is typical of this module.

Question

The position of mass m is described as a vector r, from an origin such that r= 7t i + (4t-3t^2) j metres.

Find the magnitude and directions of r and dr/dt when dy/dt=0

Now I have worked through this and know what to do but when I looked at the model answer I noticed what to me looks like a mistake?

I've attached the solution done by my lecturer but he deduces when 4t-3t^2 = 0

That t=2/3 which it can't be it has to be 4/3?

I'm not sure if I am mistaken that's why I'm asking and if I am wrong I would like to know why:) thanks guys:) ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389878760.572193.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2
    I don't know whether these notes are in your own handwriting or in your lecturer's handwriting, but whoever wrote them got the equation for dy/dt wrong. The equation for dy/dt is

dy/dt =4-6t

This component of velocity is zero when t = 2/3.

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3
    It was the lecturers handwriting

5. Jan 16, 2014 #4
    So then the second part where he solves for the magnitude of r must be wrong as the t is added back in?

6. Jan 16, 2014 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that part is okay. Everything looks okay to me in the attachment except for one thing.

The attachment has in it:

[tex] \vec r = 7 t \ \hat \imath + (4t - 3t^2) \ \hat \jmath [/tex]
    [tex] x = 7 t [/tex]
    [tex] y = 4t - 3 t^2 [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = 4 t - 3 t^2 = 0 [/tex]
    That last line has the problem. I think your instructor meant to write:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{d}{d t} \{ 4 t - 3 t^2 \} = 0 [/tex]
    but neglected to write in the d/dt operator.

Everything looks okay after that though.

If you take the derivative of y with respect to t and set it equal to zero, you'll find that t = 2/3, which is shown on the attachment correctly.

7. Aug 16, 2015 #6
    Yeah, as collinsmark said, it might just be a prob of not writing d/dx as a step,
    The ans is still supposed to be 2/3 seconds.

8. Aug 16, 2015 #7
    The last previous post on this thread was over a year and a half ago. I'm closing this thread.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook