1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Quotient Spaces

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    I'm having a bit of trouble seeing Vector Quotient Spaces.
    Lets say I have a vector space $V$ and I want to quotient out by a linear subspace $N$. Then $V/N$ is the set of all equivalence classes $[N + v]$ where $v \in V$.

For example, let me try to take $\mathbb{R}^{2} /$ x-axis. This should be the set of all equivalence classes $[x-axis + r]$ where $r \in \mathbb{R}^{2}$.

Here is where the difficulty arises I believe. I am told that this set is the class of lines parallel to the x-axis, but I can't see how any coset $x-axis + r$ could yield a line parallel to the x-axis - or maybe my conception of vector space cosets are wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have a class that is the set of points a distance r away from the x-axis, you can rewrite it as y=r.

Try graphing it and see for yourself (pick an r, say, r=1)

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What points lie in $x-axis + r$?

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4
    But if you add a vector to the x-axis, how can that be a line parallel to the x-axis. More importantly, what is an element of the x-axis? Is it just a point?

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the x-axis is a vector space... a vector!

(Of course, sometimes we identify the notions of "point" and "vector" with each other)

7. Nov 10, 2006 #6
    Then i think my conception of adding vectors is incorrect. If i think of vectors as directed line segments, i cant think of a way to add vectors on the x-axis to other vectors to get something parallel.

8. Nov 10, 2006 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not. What you're doing, is adding a vector to the x-axis, and the set of ends of those directed line segments forms a line.

9. Nov 10, 2006 #8
    oh oh oh i see now. thanks

10. Nov 10, 2006 #9
    and the line comes from the vector definition of line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?