1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector resultant problem.

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A map suggests that Atlanta is d1 = 730 mi in a direction of θ1 = 5.12° north of east from Dallas. The same map shows that Chicago is d2 = 559 miles in a direction of θ2 = 21.0° west of north from Atlanta. Modeling the Earth as flat, use this information to find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago.

2. Relevant equations

trig functions

3. The attempt at a solution

i used the vector <65.1466, 727.087> for dallas to atlanta, and used the vector <521.87, 200.328> for atlanta to chicago. I added them together to get vector from dallas to chicago, then used the pythagorean theorem to get the resultant magnitude which was 719.542. The angle i got was 32.33 degrees by using inverse tangent of the dallas to chicago vector, then subtracted the 5.12 degrees to get the angle northeast of dallas. Still saying i have the wrong answer so i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. please help

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To start with, it looks like you have mixed up your x and y components. (Assuming you mean it as x, y, where +x is east and +y is north.) And you need to be careful with signs.

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    i see, so correcting my mistakes i should use <-200.3277, 521.8715> as my second vector. working the rest of the problem out accordingly gives me the resultant 788.7116 and the angle 41.9 degrees. i hope this is right, and also i'm still confused if i should use 41.9 degrees as the angle they are asking for or 41.9-5.12 = 36.78 as my answer?

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

Doc Al

What's that angle measured from?
    Why would you subtract 5.12 ?

Express the angle as X degrees north of east (or equivalently, Y degrees east of north).

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    the angle would be 48.1 degrees north of east, correct?

7. Aug 30, 2012 #6

Doc Al

That sounds about right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook