What Is the Final Position of a Vector Rotated Clockwise by 110°?

In summary, after being rotated clockwise by an angle of 110°, vector A ends up pointing 70° east of south, or 20° west of south. The two options for the final position of vector A are "70° east of south" or "70° south of east," with the latter being the correct choice. This can be visualized by starting off pointing east, then rotating 110° clockwise, resulting in a vector pointing south of east.
Torshi

Homework Statement

Vector A is initially pointing eastward. This vector is rotated clockwise by an angle of 110°. Which of the following statements is correct regarding the final position of vector A ?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I narrowed down my choices to 2:

Vector A is initially pointing eastward. This vector is rotated clockwise by an angle of 110°. Which of the following statements is correct regarding the final position of vector A ?

It is pointing 70° east of south.
or
It is pointing 70° south of east.
What's the difference?

The vector ends up in 4th quadrant with a 70 degree angle but i can choose which choice it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i understand:

Answer equals 20 degrees west of south

Torshi said:
It is pointing 70° east of south.
or
It is pointing 70° south of east.
What's the difference?
For 'east of south' you start off pointing south, then go east. Which way is east?
For 'south of east' you start off pointing east, then go south.

Compare these directions with the given vector. (Actually draw a diagram, indicate east, then rotate by 110 degrees.)

The vector ends up in 4th quadrant with a 70 degree angle but i can choose which choice it is.
You might want to reconsider the other choices.

Torshi said:
Answer equals 20 degrees west of south
There you go.

As a scientist, the correct statement would be "It is pointing 70° south of east." This is because in mathematics and physics, angles are typically measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. In this case, the initial position of vector A is eastward, which is 0°. Rotating it clockwise by 110° would result in a final position of 110° south of east, or 70° clockwise from the positive x-axis.

What is vector rotation?

Vector rotation is the process of changing the direction of a vector in a two or three-dimensional space.

What is the difference between scalar and vector rotation?

Scalar rotation involves rotating an object around a fixed point, while vector rotation involves rotating a vector around its origin point.

How is vector rotation calculated?

Vector rotation can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, along with the coordinates of the vector and the angle of rotation.

What is the purpose of vector rotation?

Vector rotation is used to change the orientation of a vector, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

What are some real-world examples of vector rotation?

Examples of vector rotation in real-world include the rotation of a gyroscope, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the rotation of a wind turbine blade.