1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Size magnitudes

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    Five vectors are listed below. Select them in order of increasing magnitudes, from shortest to longest. If B is smallest, then A, C, D, and finally E is the largest, enter BACDE (Note: If of equal length, then enter in the order listed.)
    A) 17i-23j-23k
    B) 22i+30j
    C) 18i-28j-26k
    D) 37k
    E) 36j+23k

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Get some graph paper and draw them!

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    how do you graph them? how do you graph one that just gives you 1 number?

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4
    They are given in component vector form. "i" represents the unit vector in the x direction, "j" represents the unit vector in the y direction, and "k" represents the unit vector in the z direction. If one number is given that means the vector is directed in only that direction and has no components in the other directions.

To solve the problem, use the modified version of the pythagorean theorem for 3 dimensions.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry I hadn't noticed they were 3d.
    Ussually when students draw a vector, the definition of the magnitude leaps out at them!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?