What is the order of increasing magnitudes for the given set of 3D vectors?

In summary, The five vectors are listed in component vector form and can be graphed using graph paper. The order of increasing magnitudes is BACDE, with B being the smallest and E being the largest. If a vector is given as one number, it means it is directed in only that direction and has no components in the other directions. To graph these vectors, use the modified version of the Pythagorean theorem for 3 dimensions.
BrettL789123
Five vectors are listed below. Select them in order of increasing magnitudes, from shortest to longest. If B is smallest, then A, C, D, and finally E is the largest, enter BACDE (Note: If of equal length, then enter in the order listed.)
A) 17i-23j-23k
B) 22i+30j
C) 18i-28j-26k
D) 37k
E) 36j+23k

Physics news on Phys.org
Get some graph paper and draw them!

how do you graph them? how do you graph one that just gives you 1 number?

BrettL789123 said:
how do you graph them? how do you graph one that just gives you 1 number?
They are given in component vector form. "i" represents the unit vector in the x direction, "j" represents the unit vector in the y direction, and "k" represents the unit vector in the z direction. If one number is given that means the vector is directed in only that direction and has no components in the other directions.

To solve the problem, use the modified version of the pythagorean theorem for 3 dimensions.

Sorry I hadn't noticed they were 3d.
Ussually when students draw a vector, the definition of the magnitude leaps out at them!

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector.

What is the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is its size or length. It is a scalar value, meaning it has only a magnitude and no direction. It is represented by the absolute value of the vector's components, which can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you can use the formula |v| = √(x² + y² + z²), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in 3-dimensional space. In 2-dimensional space, the formula becomes |v| = √(x² + y²). This is derived from the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the difference between magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction are two properties of a vector. Magnitude refers to the size or length of the vector, while direction indicates the orientation of the vector in space. They are both important in fully describing a vector.

How does vector magnitude affect vector addition and subtraction?

When adding or subtracting vectors, the magnitude of the resulting vector is affected by the magnitude of the individual vectors being added or subtracted. If the vectors have the same direction, their magnitudes are added or subtracted, but if they have different directions, the resulting magnitude may be smaller or larger depending on the angle between the vectors.