Vector Space Subspace Basis: Finding Compatible Bases

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between bases of a subspace and a vector space. It is possible for there to be a basis for a subspace that is a proper subset of the basis for the vector space. However, it is always possible to add vectors to the basis for the subspace to create a basis for the entire vector space.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

Let S be a subspace of a vector space V. Let B be a basis for V. Is there a basis C for S such that [tex]C \subseteq B[/tex]?

not really sure how to approach this... any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
iamalexalright said:

Homework Statement

Let S be a subspace of a vector space V. Let B be a basis for V. Is there a basis C for S such that [tex]C \subseteq B[/tex]?

not really sure how to approach this... any hints?

If there is another basis C for V, what must be true about the two bases, B and C?

They are isomorphic to each other... have the same cardinality...

Dunno where you are going with that

Cardinality is where I'm going. Could there be a basis C with fewer members than B has? Could there be a basis C that is a proper subset of B?

hrm - i'll use an example to make it a little more clear for me

well if my vector space is [tex]R^{3x1}[/tex] and let S be a subset of this space in which the third entry in the vectors is zero.

So a basis (call it B) of the vector space is simply the standard basis (e1 = (1,0,0), e2 = (0,1,0), e3 = (0,0,1)).

A basis(call it C) for the subspace is simply e1 and e2.

So C has less members AND C is a proper subset of B.

The vector space V in your example is really R3, and S = {(x1, x2, 0}}.

Sure, B = {<1,0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, <0, 0, 1>} is a basis for V, and C = {<1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>} is a basis for S. So for your example [tex]C \subseteq B.[/tex]

Somehow I misread your first post to mean that B and C were both bases for S.

Is this true in general? Or is it only true case by case?

Another similar question:
Given a basis a subspace S of a vector space V. If C is a basis for S can I, in general, add vectors to the basis C to get a basis B for V? (and I'm talking about finite vector spaces)

Seems like it should be true but I can't give a formal proof.

Yes, unless S happens to be the vector space itself. Think about it in terms of some simple, easy to visualize spaces, with V = R3 and S a subspace of R3 spanned by some plane through the origin. If u1 and u2 make up a basis for S, then adding a vector not in the plane (not in Span(u1, u2)) gets you a basis for the entire space V.

If S is a subpace of V and B is a basis for V, then it is NOT necessarily true that there exist a subset of B which is a basis for S. For example, {(1, 0), (0, 1)} is a basis for [itex]R^2[/itex]. If S= {(x, y)| x= y}, it is a (one dimensional) subspace of [itex]R^2[/itex] but neither (1, 0) not (0, 1) is a basis vector for it.

The other way, "if S is a subspace of V and B is a basis for S, then there exist a basis for V containing B", is true.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that represents a collection of vectors, which are objects that have both magnitude and direction. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to model various physical systems in physics and engineering.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

A vector space must satisfy certain properties, including closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, existence of a zero vector, existence of additive inverse, and associative and distributive properties.

3. What is a basis in a vector space?

A basis is a set of vectors that are linearly independent and span the entire vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

4. How do you find the basis of a vector space?

To find the basis of a vector space, you can use the process of Gaussian elimination to reduce the vectors in the vector space to their simplest form. The resulting vectors will form the basis of the vector space.

5. Can a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. This is because there can be different sets of vectors that are linearly independent and span the vector space. However, all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space.