1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space basis proof

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S be any non-empty set, F be a field and V={ f : S -> F such that f(x) = 0 } be a vector space over F.
    Let f[sub k] (x) : S -> F such that f[sub k] (x) = 1 for k=x, otherwise f[sub k] (x) = 0.

Prove that the set { f [sub k] } with k from S is a basis for the vector space V.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to sketch something but i am not sure i'm on the right path.

So, given B={ f [sub k] }, k from S, it is a basis for V if and only if B spans any vector from V and B is linearly independent.

Let g : S -> F be a vector from V, then g(x)=0 and a some scalars from F with i >= 1.

Then B spans g if and only if g = sum ( a * f ).
    But g(x) = 0 so 0 = sum ( a * f ), so the vectors f are linearly independent.

So i'd say B is a basis for the vector V, but i'm not sure it's correct because i didn't make use of the definition of the function f.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

jgens

Gold Member

I am a little confused by your notation. Which is the correct V:
    • V = {f:S → F | f = 0}
    • V = {f:S → F | f(x0) = 0 for some x0 in S}

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    It's not specified, so i guess it's f(x) = 0 for all x in S.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

jgens

Gold Member

I didn't think of this at first, but that seems to be problematic. For {fk} to be a basis, it needs to be a subset of V. But since V contains only the function that is 0 everywhere and fk is not the zero function, this is a contradiction.

Are you sure that's what is meant by V?

6. Dec 1, 2011 #5
    This is what concerned me too.
    Honestly i don't quite understand the definition of V as it doesn't say anything clear about x in f(x), but, actually i think V is defined such that f(x)=0 for a finite number of elements in S.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #6

jgens

Gold Member

I think I have it figured out. Use V = {f:S → F | f(x) = 0 for all but finitely many x}. Can you show that {fk} are a basis for V?

8. Dec 1, 2011 #7
    Well, the definition of V doesn't change the situation, the problem is that i don't know the dimension of V, is it finite?

9. Dec 1, 2011 #8

jgens

Gold Member

The dimension of V does not matter. With this definition of V you can show that {fk} is a basis. And your proof earlier isn't quite right, so you'll need to improve that for this.

10. Dec 1, 2011 #9
    Ok, thank you, i'll take one more ride :).

11. Dec 2, 2011 #10
    I don't understand why V is the set of all functions such that f(x)=0 for a finite number of S.

For example if S={1,2}, does that mean that a vector in S is (f(1),f(2))? with f(1)=0, f(2)=b, with b in F. Or
    f(1)=a, f(2)=b, with a,b in F.

The basis is {(f[sub 1](1),f[sub 1](2)),f[sub 2](1),f[sub 2](2))} = {(1,0),(0,1)}.
    But i don't understand why f(x) must be 0 for some arbitrary points in S.

12. Dec 2, 2011 #11

jgens

Gold Member

You are confused because you are not reading things correctly. If you use V = {f:S → F | f(x) = 0 for all but finitely many x} then the {fk} constructed in the posts above are a basis for V.

As for your particular objection, note that if S is finite and f is non-zero everywhere, then f(x) = 0 except at a finite number of points.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  13. Dec 2, 2011 #12
    You're right. I was confused because i thought f and f[sub k] are not the same functions. Now it makes sense, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook