1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space help

1. Oct 13, 2006 #1
    Vector space help plz..

Hi,
    Just started a linear algebra course recently but I am confused with the notation used :confused:

http://i9.tinypic.com/2w4za50.jpg

I am unsure how to proceed with this question. Can someone help? The part highlighted, what does it mean? 2x2 matrix of P? The P represents the polynomial entries? :confused: Can give me an example to give me a head start? Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

4. Oct 13, 2006 #3
  5. Oct 13, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, it's exactly something like this. :smile: Now just look at the definition of a vector space and at the properties that the addition and scalar multiplication must satisfy to proove if it's a vector space or not.

6. Oct 13, 2006 #5
    thanks for the confirmation again :smile:

Ok hmm I don't know if I'm on the right track but do I have to have two different matrices? Lets say matrix A and matrix B where A has elements:

http://i10.tinypic.com/4g7c4lj.jpg

and B with similar elements in order to check whether they satisfy closure by addition and multiplication? Or have I interpreted the definition totally wrong? :uhh:

7. Oct 14, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

You're on the right track.

8. Oct 14, 2006 #7

I've just noticed that I've chosen specific polynomials for my matrix entries so is that wrong? what would the matrix look like with general polynomial entries if a degree isn't given? Hmm am i making any sense here :uhh:

9. Oct 14, 2006 #8

radou

Homework Helper

You don't have to write down specific polynomials as entries in your matrix. It is enough to write down something like [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}p_{1} & p_{2}\\p_{3} & p_{4}\end{array}\right)[/tex], where [tex]p_{i}, i = 1, \cdots, 4[/tex] are your real polynomials, which is the only thing that matters, unlike their degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?