1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space isomorphism

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    I came across this problem today and haven't been able to figure it out...

Give an example of a vector space V which isomorphic to a proper subspace W, i.e. V != W.

It seems to me that V can't have a finite basis, but can't think of any examples regardless...any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2
    Polynomials over a field

Let V=C[x,y]. A basis for this space is [tex] $ B= \{ x^i y^j \mid i,j=0,1,2,...\} $ [/tex]. It is well known that there is a bijection [tex] $ f: Z_{+} \times Z_{+} \rightarrow Z_{+} $ [/tex]. Therefore, if we let [tex] $ t_{i,j} =x^iy^j \ \forall i, j $ [/tex], then we have a bijective map from B to the set [tex] $ B' = \{T^k \mid k \in Z_{+}\} $ given by $ F(t_{i,j}) = T^{f(i,j)} $ [/tex]. Clearly F linearly extends from the basis to all of V and is an isomorphism onto C[T]. You then may trivially send C[T] to C[x] via the isomorphism T -> x.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  4. Jun 9, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you've considered infinite dimensional vector spaces; where did you run into difficulty showing that one might be isomorphic to a proper subspace?

Analogy might help -- can you think of any other infinitary structure that is isomorphic to a proper substructure? What about the simplest kind of structure: that of simply being a set?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. Jun 9, 2008 #4
    Even easier, consider the vector space of infinite sequences of real numbers (or equivalently, countably infinite tuples)

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that in this vector space, any two subspaces without finite bases should be isomorphic

6. Jun 10, 2008 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

any bijection between bases yields and isomorphism between the spaces, so just find a basis and a bijection with a proper subset.

e.g. if the basis is the natural numbers, the usual bijection (x-->x+1)with those > 1 induces the famous "shift operator" on the space of (finite) sequences.

7. Jun 10, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sequences with only finitely many nonzero terms form a subspace that admits a countably infinite basis, whereas the space of absolutely summable sequences (l_1) has as its dimension the cardinality of the continuum. So these two spaces aren't isomorphic. But on the other hand, all the l_p spaces (for 1<=p<infinity) are isomorphic as vector spaces, and l_p is a proper subspace of l_q when p<q.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?