1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Space of Matrices

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I have a finite dimensional inner product space [itex]V = M_{n \times n}(\mathbb{R})[/itex], then one basis of V is the set of n² (n x n)-matrices, [itex]\beta = \{E_1, \dots , E_{n^2}\}[/itex] where [itex]E_i[/itex] has a 1 in the [itex]i^{th}[/itex] position, and zeroes elsewhere (and by [itex]i^{th}[/itex] position, I mean that the first position is the top-left, the second position is just to the right of the top-left, and the last position is the bottom-right). Since these matrices are linearly independent and span V, they certainly form a basis, and since there are n² of them, dim(V) = n². Therefore, if I have some linear operator T on V, then [itex]A = [T]_{\beta}[/itex] is an (n² x n²)-matrix, right? However, if v is some element of V, then T(v) = Av, but Av is not even possible, since it involves multiplying two square matrices of different dimension. Now, if I had made a mistake earlier, then maybe A is supposed to be an (n x n)-matrix. But that doesn't seem right.

My textbook proves:

If V is an N-dimensional vector space with an ordered basis [itex]\beta[/itex], then [itex][I_V]_{\beta} = I_N[/itex], where [itex]I_V[/itex] is the identity operator on V. Now, in our case, N = n², but if I was wrong before, and in the previous example, A should have been an (n x n)-matrix, then the equality above essentially states that an (n x n)-matrix is equal to an (n² x n²)-matrix. Where have I (or my book) made a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2
    >> However, if v is some element of V, then T(v) = Av, but Av is not even possible, since
    >> it involves multiplying two square matrices of different dimension.

I´m not completely sure if I got your question but maybe I´m guessing right where your problems lie:

Assume a linear operator O over the R^n. It can be written in the form of O(a) = Ma for any vector a. M is an n x n matrix here. Certainly M and a don´t have the same "dimension" (dunno the proper english term; probably "level"). And you probably wouldn´t feel that this is not going to work, because you know how to interpret the equation.
    In tensorial notation using the components of the vector a above is written like this:
    [tex] T(a^\nu) = \sum_{\nu=1} ^n M^\mu _{\, \nu} a^\nu = b^\mu [/tex]
    The last "=" was put in to show that the result b is a vector of R^n again.

Rewriting your "T(v) = Av" in tensorial terms it would be:
    [tex] T(v^{\mu \nu}) = \sum_{\mu=1} ^n \sum _{\nu=1} ^n A^{\alpha \beta}_{\, \, \, \mu \nu} v^{\mu \nu} = b^{\alpha \beta} [/tex]
    So the equation is defined and the result is an element of V.

Sidenotes:
    - Av = A*v is never possible unless you define what it´s supposed to be. Tensorial notation like above does this.
    - I didn´t understand what your textbook sais because I neither know the notation nor do I know what [tex] I_N [/tex] is. So it´s well possible that I completely missed your question.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?