1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Space Problem

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Do functions that vanish at the end points x=0 and x= L form a vector space? What about periodic functions obeying f(0)=f(L)?How about functions that obey f(0)=4

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

We consider functions defined at 0<x<L.We define scalar multiplication by a simply as af(x) and addiion as pointwise addition: f(x)+g(x) at every point x.The null function is zero everywhere and the additive inverse is -f(x).

First kind of functions satisfy closure,commutativity and associativity of addition.They are OK with scalar multiplication.They have in their set the null element: a null function which is zero everywhere.They also contain -f(x).So,they can form a vector space.

The third kind of functions: obeying f(0)=4 exclude the existence of null function (which is zero everywhere) and the existence of -f(x)...This set is also not going to form a vector space.

I think the periodic functions will form a vector space only if null function is considered to be a periodic function of arbitrary period.For this kind of functions,we are given, f(0)=f(L). It seems that other conditions concerning the closure are satisfied.

Please tell me if I am missing something.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems fine. The null function (and other constant functions) ARE periodic.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?