Vector Space Problem: Is {x1,x2,x3} a Vector Space?

In summary, the following is a vector space: the set of all ordered triples of real numbers, {x1,x2,x3)}, usual addition, and r(x1,x2,x3)=(0,0,0), all numbers r.
physicsss
Is the following a vector space:
the set of all ordered triples of real numbers, {x1,x2,x3)}, usual addition, and r(x1,x2,x3)=(0,0,0), all numbers r

I think this is a vector space since it is the vector (0,0,0), but I'm not sure how to show the work for it.

Thanks in adv.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsss said:
the set of all ordered triples of real numbers, {x1,x2,x3)}, usual addition, and r(x1,x2,x3)=(0,0,0), all numbers r

I think this is a vector space since it is the vector (0,0,0), but I'm not sure how to show the work for it.

Thanks in adv.

what is the definition of a vector space?

check each of the criteria against what you have, and if all of the criteria are satisfied then it is a vector space.

physicsss said:

Thanks in adv.

why is it the vector (0,0,0)? it states it is the set of ALL triples...

you need to read your definition of vector space. In my book it is the following:

A "vector space" over the field k, is an abelian group (V,+) together with a way to multiply elements of V by elements of k, such that if x,y are in k, and v,w are in V then (x+y)v = xv+yv, 1v = v, x(v+w) = xv+xw, and (xy)v = x(yv).

does your example satisfy these?

matt grime said:
why is it the vector (0,0,0)? it states it is the set of ALL triples...

For r(x1,x2,x3)=(0,0,0) to be true, either x1, x2, and x2 have to all zeros or r has to be zero. That's the only two things that work.

no, that isn't what the question states (as you have written it, read what you wrote, you declared the underlying set to be ALL the elements in R^3). you are assuming that the "old" scalar mult is being used. it isn't, it is a "new" scalar mult. albeit one that fails to actually be a proper scalr mult (see mathwonk's post) and thus the set RxRxR with this "new" scalar mult is not a vector space.

yes, with the old mult the only way for r((x,y,z) to be zero for all r is if (0,0,0) is the only element of R^3 we are considering, but that isn't what we're doing, nor are we asking, given these new rules, what subsets of R^3 are a vector space.

EXAMPLE, given the subset of RxR consisting of all pairs (x,a) where a is a FIXED number with the "new" addition (x,a)+(y,a)=(x+y,a) and scalr mult. of k(x,a)=(kx,a) is a vector space. but if were to assume that the opertions were the old ones then this is only true if a=0.

Last edited:
I kinda get it now.
So since the vector doesn't satisfy the fellowing identity of 1*u=u, where u is a non zero triple (x1,x2,x3), it is not a vector space?

yes.

it is confusing, i imagine, because you are automaticallly associating the usual operations since R^3 is such a well known vector space.

i come across this all the time in group theory when my students assert that the integers with the operation

x@y=x+y-1

where + is the usual addition is not a grou becuase 0 is not the identity of @.

remember the rules are applied to the operations as given, thus the identity with respect to @ is 1

So by that axiom 1*u=u, you can also show that r(x1,x2,x3)=(2*r*x1,2*r*x2,2*r*x3) is not a vector space since 1*u in this case is (2*x1,2*x2,2*x3)?

Last edited:
Yes, Anyone?

you've shown that an axiom is falsified, what more was there to say to you?

physicsss said:
So by that axiom 1*u=u, you can also show that r(x1,x2,x3)=(2*r*x1,2*r*x2,2*r*x3) is not a vector space since 1*u in this case is (2*x1,2*x2,2*x3)?

I just wasn't so sure about if the above was right and was asking if I was doing it correctly since the concept of vector space is still new to me.

it's nothing to do with vector spaces; it is deductive reasoning.

You know all X's must satisfy Y, you know Z doesn't satisfy Y, therefore Z isn't an X. no mention of vector spaces.

you must get used to the fact that we want you to decide for yourself if you are right. i.e. to get to where you look at your argument to see if it is logically sound, rather than asking us to confirm it for you.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical concept that involves a set of objects, called vectors, that can be added together and multiplied by numbers, called scalars, to produce new vectors. These operations must follow certain rules and properties to be considered a vector space.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

The properties of a vector space include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, existence of an identity element, existence of additive inverses, and distributivity. These properties ensure that vector spaces follow certain rules and behave consistently.

3. How do you determine if {x1,x2,x3} is a vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors is a vector space, you must check if it satisfies all of the properties of a vector space. These properties include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, existence of an identity element, existence of additive inverses, and distributivity.

4. What does it mean for a set to be closed under addition and scalar multiplication?

A set is closed under addition if the sum of any two elements in the set is also in the set. A set is closed under scalar multiplication if the product of any element in the set and any scalar is also in the set. These properties ensure that vector operations within a vector space produce results that stay within the set.

5. Can a set of vectors be a vector space if it does not satisfy all of the properties?

No, a set of vectors must satisfy all of the properties of a vector space to be considered a vector space. If even one property is not satisfied, the set cannot be considered a vector space.