1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Space Question

1. Mar 11, 2004 #1
    The 3 dimensional space that we inhabit must have a basis of 3 vectors which is fair enough.

But in my partial differential equations class in which fourier series was introduced, it was said that piecewise smooth function space has a basis of an infinite number of vectors. If there is a simple enough answer to this, I am curious to why this is. Does it have to do with the discontinuities that can arise in PWS space?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's because there are an infinite number of linearly independent smooth functions (forget even piecewise)

Take Functions from R to R

set f_i(x) = x^i, i in N

if the space were finite dimensional, of say dimension n, then given any n+1 of those functions, say just the first n+1, for ease, we could find real numbers a_i with

sum 0 to n a_ix^i equal to the zero function on R ie zero for all x in R. But poly of degree n has only n roots, doesn't it? so it can't be identically zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?