1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector space question

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a vector space over the field K.

a) Let {[tex]W_{k}:\ 1\leq k \leq m[/tex]} be m subspaces of V, and let W be the intersection of these m subspaces. Prove that W is a subspace of V.

b) Let S be any set of vectors in V, and let W be the intersection of all subspaces of V which contains S (that is, x E W if and only if x lies in every subspace which contains S). Prove that W is the set of finite linear combinations of vectors from S.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I got this part so I will skip this. Part b is where I am stuck at. Just assume W is a subspace of V.

b) From what I understand, the question wants me to prove that W=span of S. I seriously don't know what to do. I tried to prove that any vectors that are NOT the span of S cannot be in W, but I didn't know where to go from there.

From a book I read, b) is actually a theorem. It says "W is the smallest subspace of V that contains S" but unfortunately it doesn't show any proofs for it.

I feel like I have missed something. Any hints?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Show W is contained in span(S), and span(S) is contained in W. Then W=span(S).

4. Jul 30, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply vela.

I get what you mean. You are saying if A is a subset of B and B is a subset of A, then A=B.

Here is what I got so far:

let S={[tex]\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2}...\lambda_{n}[/tex]}

then, [tex]A1\lambda_{1},A2\lambda_{2}...An\lambda_{n}[/tex] E W1,W2,...Wm. (Closure under multiplication by a scalar.)

and so [tex]A1\lambda_{1}+A2\lambda_{2}+...+An\lambda_{n}[/tex] E W1,W2,...Wm. (Closure under vector addition.)

And so, span(S) E W1,W2...Wm

Thus, span(S) is contained in W, as W is the intersection of W1,W2...Wm.

How do I prove that W is contained in span(S)?

Anyway thanks for your help.

5. Jul 31, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Consider the fact that span(S) is a subspace of V that contains S.

EDIT: I changed the wording in this post to say what I meant to say. Ignore what I had written here earlier.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. Jul 31, 2010 #5
    OMG I GOT IT.

Since the span of S is a subspace of V, and W is the intersection of the subspaces in V that contains S, then obviously W E span{S}.

Thus, span{S} E W and W E span{S} and so W=span{S}.

Therefore, W is the set of finite linear combinations of S. =)

Thanks so much man. You are awesome =D.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook