1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space stuff

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the space of all shift maps is indeed a vector space over R and that there is a linear bijection between it and R2

2. Relevant equations
    10 Axioms of vector spaces
    Definition of bijection (1-1, onto)
    For 1-1: f(a) = f(b) -> a = b.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok ignoring the vector space proof for the moment my main problem was defining this space to begin with. I sorta saw it as the set of functions f st f(x) = x + a where x and a are sets or matrices of values from the field R. The only problem here is there is no limit really to the dimension of this space and so getting it to be a bijection to R2 could be a problem (here i assume that isomorphisms have the same dimension) or am i to limit our function space to dimension 2?

Im kinda muddeled on this one guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

surely the problem said more than that? Didn't it say "all shift maps on R2"? That's the only way that last part could be true.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?