Sum of Vector Spaces U & W in Linear Algebra Done Right

In summary, the concept of sum of two subspaces in Linear Algebra Done Right may seem simple, but there is some misunderstanding regarding the answer given by Axler. The sum of two subspaces U and W, where U = {(x, 0, 0) in F^3 : x in F} and W = {(y, y, 0) in F^3 : y in F}, should be {(x+y, y, 0) : x, y in F} rather than {(x, y, 0) : x, y in F}. This is because x can be anything, including -y, which means that the set of vectors in the form (x, y) where x and
airpocket
The sum of two subspaces seems a simple enough concept to me, but I must be misunderstanding it since I don't understand why Axler gives an answer he does in Linear Algebra Done Right.

Suppose U and W are subspaces of some vector space V.

[tex]U = \{(x, 0, 0) \in \textbf{F}^3 : x \in \textbf{F}\} \text{ and } W = \{(y, y, 0) \in \textbf{F}^3 : y \in \textbf{F}\}.[/tex]

The sum is given as follows:

[tex]U + W = \{(x, y, 0) : x, y \in \textbf{F}\}.[/tex]

Whereas it seems to me it should be:

[tex]U + W = \{(x+y, y, 0) : x, y \in \textbf{F}\}.[/tex]

Am I misunderstanding the concept of sum, and it does not really mean that all the elements in [tex]U + W[/tex] should have the form [tex](x, 0, 0) + (y, y, 0)[/tex], or [tex](x+y, y, 0)[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
since x can be anything, it can be anything -y, so the set of vectors of form (x,y) where x and y bare anything, is the same as the set of vectors (x+y,y) where x and y are anything.

so you are also right!

Thanks so much. That makes sense. I didn't think about simplifying x + y.

1. What is the definition of the sum of vector spaces U and W in Linear Algebra Done Right?

The sum of vector spaces U and W in Linear Algebra Done Right is defined as the set of all possible combinations of vectors from U and W. Mathematically, it can be written as U + W = {u + w | u ∈ U, w ∈ W}.

2. How is the sum of vector spaces U and W different from the direct sum of U and W?

The sum of vector spaces U and W includes all possible combinations of vectors from U and W, including duplicates, while the direct sum only includes unique combinations. Additionally, the direct sum requires that the intersection of U and W is {0}, while the sum of vector spaces does not have this restriction.

3. How do you determine if a vector belongs to the sum of vector spaces U and W?

To determine if a vector belongs to the sum of vector spaces U and W, you need to check if it can be expressed as a combination of vectors from both U and W. This means that the vector must be equal to the sum of a vector from U and a vector from W.

4. Can the sum of vector spaces U and W have more than one basis?

Yes, the sum of vector spaces U and W can have more than one basis. This is because the basis for the sum of vector spaces is not unique, as long as it satisfies the property that every vector in the sum of vector spaces can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

5. How does the dimension of the sum of vector spaces U and W relate to the dimensions of U and W?

The dimension of the sum of vector spaces U and W is equal to the sum of the dimensions of U and W, minus the dimension of their intersection. This can be written as dim(U + W) = dim(U) + dim(W) - dim(U ∩ W).