Vector Space Requirements for Functions that Vanish at x=0 and x=L

In summary, the functions that vanish at the end points x=0 and x=L, periodic functions obeying f(L)=f(0), and functions that obey f(0)=4 do not form vector spaces due to violations of the closure property, zero vector property, and other axioms defining a vector space.
ercagpince

Homework Statement

Do functions that vanish at the end points x=0 and x=L form a vector space ? How about periodic functions obeying f(L)=f(0)? How about functions that obey f(0)=4 ?
If the functions do not qualify , list the things that go wrong .

Homework Equations

All axioms defining the vector space .

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to sketch some functions collapsed on point x=L and x=0 and superposed them . But , I don't know how to make a pointwise addition of 2 functions which I don't know the explicit forms .
I guess functions mentioned on the problem are violating the closure feature of a vector space.

I got really confused :confused::frown:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The functions that vanish at the end points x=0 and x=L do not form a vector space. This is because they do not satisfy the closure property, which states that the sum of any two elements in the vector space must also be in the vector space. In this case, the sum of two functions that vanish at the end points may not necessarily vanish at the end points, thus violating the closure property.

Similarly, periodic functions obeying f(L)=f(0) also do not form a vector space. This is because they do not satisfy the closure property as well. The sum of two periodic functions may not necessarily be periodic, thus violating the closure property.

Functions that obey f(0)=4 also do not form a vector space. This is because they do not satisfy the zero vector property, which states that there must be an element in the vector space that behaves like the additive identity (i.e. adding it to any element in the vector space does not change the element). In this case, the function f(x)=4 does not have this property, as adding it to any other function will change the value of the function at x=0.

Overall, these functions do not form vector spaces because they do not satisfy the axioms defining a vector space, such as the closure property, existence of a zero vector, existence of additive inverses, and distributivity properties. I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I would first clarify the definition of a vector space. A vector space is a mathematical structure that satisfies certain axioms, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication. In the context of functions, this means that the sum of two functions and the scalar multiple of a function should also be a function within the same vector space.

In the case of functions that vanish at the end points x=0 and x=L, these functions do not form a vector space. This is because the sum of two functions that vanish at the end points may not necessarily vanish at the end points. For example, the sum of two functions f(x)=x and g(x)=1-x would not vanish at x=0 and x=L, violating the closure property.

Similarly, for periodic functions obeying f(L)=f(0), these functions also do not form a vector space. This is because the sum of two periodic functions may not necessarily be a periodic function. For example, the sum of two periodic functions with different periods would not be a periodic function.

For functions that obey f(0)=4, these functions also do not form a vector space. This is because the scalar multiple of a function with this property would also not necessarily obey f(0)=4. For example, multiplying a function f(x)=x by a scalar 2 would result in a function that does not satisfy f(0)=4.

In summary, the functions mentioned in the problem do not form vector spaces because they do not satisfy the closure property, which is one of the defining axioms of a vector space.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and a set of operations that can be performed on those vectors. These operations include addition and scalar multiplication, and they must follow certain rules in order for the set to be considered a vector space.

2. Why do functions need to vanish at x=0 and x=L?

Functions that vanish at x=0 and x=L are often used to model physical phenomena such as vibrations or heat transfer, where the values at the boundary points are known or constrained. This requirement allows for more accurate and realistic mathematical representations of these phenomena.

3. What are the requirements for a function to vanish at x=0 and x=L?

A function must have a value of zero at both x=0 and x=L in order to satisfy this requirement. This means that the function must be continuous at those points and its limit must approach zero as x approaches 0 and L.

4. How are vector spaces used in relation to functions that vanish at x=0 and x=L?

Vector spaces are used to provide a mathematical framework for studying and analyzing functions that vanish at x=0 and x=L. By defining a set of operations on these functions, we can better understand their properties and behaviors.

5. What are some examples of vector spaces that include functions that vanish at x=0 and x=L?

Some examples of vector spaces that include functions that vanish at x=0 and x=L are the space of continuous functions on a closed interval [0,L], the space of differentiable functions on [0,L], and the space of infinitely differentiable functions on [0,L]. These spaces can be used to study various physical phenomena and their mathematical representations.