Finding a Subspace W of R^4 for Direct Sum V(+)W

In summary, V is a subspace of R^4. V={(x, -y, 2x+y, x-2y): x,y E R} and W is a subspace of R^4 for which R^4= direct sum V(+)W. However, I was not able to find the basis for V or W. I believe there are more than one correct answer.
student82
V is a subspace of R^4
V={(x, -y, 2x+y, x-2y): x,y E R}

1) extend {(2,-1,5,0)} to a basis of V.

2) find subspace W of R^4 for which R^4= direct sum V(+)W.

solution:

1)the dimension of V is 2.therefore i need to add one more vector to (2,-1,5,0).
the 2nd vector is (1,0,2,1).
therefore the basis is {(2,-1,5,0),(1,0,2,1)}.

i want to know whether my answer is correct.

2)dim of W is 2.
so I've to extend the basis for V by just adding any two vectors in R4, making sure that they don't become linearly dependent.

in this case I'm not able to find the basis.should i take the standard basis i.e. (1,0,0,0) or (0,1,0,0) or(0,0,1,0) as the first vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your answer to 1) is correct. The resulting basis appears to span V.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean for 2), but I interpret the question to mean: "Extend the basis found in part 1) to span R^4". I hope I got it correct.

For 2), the strategy you should follow is: Create a 2x4 matrix A with the 2 vectors from 1) as row vectors. Reduce the matrix to reduced row echelon form by Gauss-Jordan elimination. Once you get to this stage, consider the 4 standard bases (1,0,0,0), (0,1,0,0) (0,0,1,0) and (0,0,0,1). To span R^4, you need to add 2 of these vectors to your reduced-row echelon form of A, so that you may reduce A to the identity matrix. Once you write it all out, it shouldn't too difficult to see which of the standard basis vectors you need to add as row vectors to A in order to be able to reduce to I.

Last edited:
is (0,1,0,0) the correct answer?

sorry
is {(0,0,1,0),(0,1,0,0)} the correct answer.

Yeah I think your answer works. By the way, I realized my "hint" earlier was wrong, apparently (1,0,0,0) and (0,0,1,0) works as well. There should be more than one correct answer here.

thanks

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that is itself a vector space. This means that it contains all of the necessary properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do I find a subspace of R^4 for direct sum V(+)W?

To find a subspace of R^4 for direct sum V(+)W, you need to identify a set of vectors that satisfy the necessary properties. These include being closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and being a subset of R^4. You can also use techniques such as Gaussian elimination to find a basis for the subspace.

3. What is the direct sum V(+)W?

The direct sum V(+)W is the combination of two subspaces, V and W, where every vector in the direct sum is uniquely expressible as the sum of a vector in V and a vector in W. In other words, the direct sum contains all possible combinations of vectors from V and W.

4. How do I know if a subspace of R^4 is a valid direct sum V(+)W?

A subspace of R^4 is a valid direct sum V(+)W if it satisfies the following conditions:
- Every vector in the direct sum can be uniquely expressed as the sum of a vector in V and a vector in W.
- The intersection of V and W is only the zero vector.
- The direct sum contains all possible combinations of vectors from V and W.
- The direct sum is a subspace of R^4.

5. Can a subspace of R^4 have more than one valid direct sum V(+)W?

Yes, it is possible for a subspace of R^4 to have more than one valid direct sum V(+)W. This can occur when there are multiple ways to express a vector as the sum of a vector in V and a vector in W. However, all valid direct sum combinations will have the same properties as mentioned in the previous answer.