1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    i am given 2 subspaces of R4
    and am asked to find:
    a homogenic system for W- system for a vector (x,y,z,t) belonging to W

i see the basis for W is : a(1,1,1,0)+b(-1,2,0,1),, i put these vectors into an extended matrix with (x y z t) on the other side, and after a series of elementary operations, i get

next i am asked to find
    a basis for W+U and W[tex]\cap[/tex]U

i find a homogenic system for U, and compre it with the system i found for W which comes to
    and i come to
    so for W[tex]\cap[/tex]U i get a basis (-0.5, 4, 1, 1.5)

for W+U i take the basis of each and check independace of all of them together, in which i get that all4 are independant, therefore the basis for W+U={(1,0,1,1)(-6,8,-3,-2)(1,1,1,0)(-1,2,0,1),}
    if i perform elementary colum operations on them i can get to (1000)(0100)(0010)(0001), doesnt this mean that W+U is the whole vector space R4 ??

the final question is
    find a vector other than the zero vector which is orthagonal to all the vectors in U+W
    is this possible, since i found that W+U is the whole vector space R4 (supposing i was correct there)??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Yes it does. In fact a certain theorem tells you that if you can find a set of n linearly independent vectors spanning R^n then that set is a basis for R^n. EDIT: I just checked it and I realised that the vectors are in fact not linearly independent. You need to re-check that part.

EDIT: As above the vectors are not linearly independent.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    If W [tex]\cap[/tex] U [tex]\neq[/tex] {0} then the set {basis of U} [tex]\cup[/tex] {basis of W} must be linearly dependent.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?