1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the dimnesion and a basis of vector space V

2. Relevant equations
    V is the set of all vectors (a,b,c) in R^3 with a+2b-4c=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    (4c-2b,b,c) = b(-2,1,0) + c(4,0,1)
    so {(-2,1,0),(4,0,1)} is the basis of the SUBSPACE of V right?

how do I get the 3rd linearly independent vector so that it forms the basis of V?
    Is it (1,0,0)? (0,1,0) seems possible... but the basis of a vector space isn't unique right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    This is a good start, and the right idea needed to solve the problem.

THE subspace? V has many subspaces and you're not asked to find bases of them. What you want is a basis of V. Remember that a basis of V is a set of vectors that span V and is linearly independent. Now consider:
    1. For any vector of the form (4c-2b,b,c) (i.e. a vector in V) can you express it as a linear combination of (-2,1,0) and (4,0,1). If the answer is yes, then (-2,1,0) and (4,0,1) span V and therefore we need not find more basis elements.
    2. Is {(-2,1,0),(4,0,1)} linearly independent?
    If you can answer both 1 and 2 in the affirmative, then {(-2,1,0),(4,0,1)} is a basis of V.

Why do you believe you need a 3rd vector? You would only need a third vector if the dimension of V is 3, but it could be smaller (2 for instance).

Neither (1,0,0) nor (0,1,0) is actually in V so they can't be used. No a basis isn't unique, but your set from the first part of your answer is a good guess for a basis.

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    I think I've read somewhere that if there is m linearly independent vectors in R^n where m<n, these vectors form the subspace

since we have R^3 now and found 2 linearly independent vectors, so I thought these 2 vectors form a subspace...

does that mean basis of V is JUST {(-2,1,0) , (4,0,1)} in this case?

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4
    I guess I was thrown of by your use of the. It's true that m linearly independent vectors span a subspace of R^n. In your case V is the subspace of R^n.

They do, but they do form the subspace V or another?

Yes, but you need to confirm it by proving that they span V and that they are linearly independent. Of course this implies that V has dimension 2. So in this case {(-2,1,0), (4,0,1)} span a subspace of R^3, and this subspace is V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook