1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector Space

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let U and V be vector spaces of dimensions of n and m over K and let Hom(subscriptK)(U,V) be the vector space over K of all linear maps from U to V. Find the dimension and describe a basis of Hom(subscriptK)(U,V). (You may find it helpful to use the correspondence with mxn matrices over K)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    is Hom(subscriptK)(U,V) a matrix that maps U to V?
    I don't get what Hom(subscriptK)(U,V) is...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hom_K(U,V) isn't 'a' matrix mapping U to V. It's the set of ALL matrices mapping U to V. K indicates the field the entries in the matrices are from (i.e. real, complex, etc, etc).

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    How does one describe the basis in this case?

5. Feb 17, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick a basis {u1...un} for U and a basis {v1...vm} for V and think about a how to make a simple set of independent linear transformations whose span is all linear transformations.

6. Feb 17, 2010 #5
    is the dimension of Hom_K(U,V) = mxn?

7. Feb 17, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Can you show that by producing a basis?

8. Feb 18, 2010 #7
    ^ no... can you please show me how?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  9. Feb 18, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Describe SOME linear transformation from U->V in terms of the basis. ANY one.

10. Feb 19, 2010 #9
    I am trying to prove this without using matrix form. I am using the transformation:
    [tex]
    $ T_{ij} $ ( i= 1, \ldots, n and j= 1,\ldots,m) as the linear transformation that does the following: \\
    $ u_i \mapsto v_j \quad \text{ and } \quad u_{k \neq i} \mapsto 0 $
    [/tex]
    However I do not know where to start in proving these transformations are linearly independent. I am used to dealing with vectors and doing this kind of thing with a vector space of linear transformations is throwing me off.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  11. Feb 19, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so linear independence means that sum over all i and j of a_ij*T_ij=0 implies ALL a_ij=0, right? Suppose a_KL is not zero. Put u_K into the transformation sum(a_ij*T_ij). That turns it sum(a_ij*T_ij(u_K)). What does that look like if you simplify to a single sum over j?

12. Feb 19, 2010 #11
    Excellent, I understand much better how to work with linear combinations of these transformations. I get it now. Thanks

13. Feb 19, 2010 #12
    Oh one last question, if I wanted to use einstein summation notation here could I just leave off both sum symbols?
    ie. is
    [tex]
    \alpha_{ij}T_{ij} = 0
    [/tex]
    the same as
    [tex]
    \sum_{i=1}^{n} \sum_{j=1}^{m} \alpha_{ij}T_{ij} = 0
    [/tex]
    using einstein summation notation?

14. Feb 19, 2010 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. That's actually what I was writing. I put the 'sum' in to make the sums were understood. Be sure you say you are using the Einstein summation convention, though. That's not automatically understood.

15. Feb 19, 2010 #14
    cool, thanks again!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook