1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    If [tex]S\subseteq V[/tex] and V is a vector space, then S is a vector space.

Assume S isn't a vector space. Since S isn't a vector space, then V isn't a vector space; however, V is a vector space. By contradiction, S is a subspace.

Correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2
    Why is this true?

4. Apr 30, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Suppose V = R3 and S = {(x, y, z)| x + y - 2z = 3}. S is clearly a subset of V, but is S a subspace of V?

5. Apr 30, 2010 #4
    I said assume S isn't a vector space.

We have [tex]P\rightarrow Q\equiv P\and\sim Q[/tex]

I don't know why the latex is looking messed up but that is supposed to say P and not Q is equivalent to P implies Q

6. Apr 30, 2010 #5

Mark44

Which one is A? You started out with S and V.

7. Apr 30, 2010 #6
    I meant S.

8. Apr 30, 2010 #7

Mark44

P ==> Q <===> ~P ==> ~Q
    but you haven't shown that, given that S isn't a subspace, somehow this implies that V is not a subspace. In other words, if S is not a subspace, why does it necessarily follow that V is not a subspace? In fact, you are really concluding the opposite.

I think you are mixing up a proof by the contrapositive with a proof by contradiction.

See post #3.

9. Apr 30, 2010 #8
    I was using de morgan's laws which says p implies q is equiv to ~p or q which is equiv to p and ~ q.

That is why I assumed q (S isn't a vector space).

10. Apr 30, 2010 #9

Mark44

Based on your original post, here are P and Q.
    P: [itex]S\subseteq V[/itex] and V is a vector space
    Q: S is a vector space

Forget deMorgan - look at post #3.

11. Apr 30, 2010 #10
    I don't know if this way change anything but it should be worded like so:

If [tex]S\subseteq V[/tex] of a vector space V, then S is a vector space.

12. Apr 30, 2010 #11
    Take Mark's counterexample (or some other counterexample you can think of), that is the best approach.

13. Apr 30, 2010 #12
    The answer is supposed to be true so taking a counterexample seems counter-intuitive.

14. Apr 30, 2010 #13
    S is defined as an improper subset of V; so if V is a vector space, S must be as well.

15. Apr 30, 2010 #14
    For all we know, it could be a proper subset too. That was just the notation I used.

16. Apr 30, 2010 #15
    Then it is false. There is one vector that S can exclude yet still retain it's subset status. Think of the definition of a vector space.

17. Apr 30, 2010 #16
    Look at post #3, which has been said a few times now.

18. Apr 30, 2010 #17
    The answer was true so I am not to sure about finding a counterexample as being the correct method.

19. Apr 30, 2010 #18
    But a counterexample *does* exist. Therefore, the statement is false (assuming it was meant to be universally true). The statement is true if and only if S also satisfies the closure axioms of a vector space under the operations of addition and multiplication as defined by V (assuming S is a nonempty subset of V).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  20. Apr 30, 2010 #19

Mark44

Not true. Not all subsets of vector spaces are themselves subspaces. Here's another example, with V = R2. Let S = {(x, y} | y = 1}.
    [itex]S~\subseteq V[/itex], and V is a vector space, but S is not a subspace.

21. May 1, 2010 #20
    I said S was an improper subset.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook