Understanding TM* (tensorproduct) TM*: Let's Break it Down!

• Thread starter Gavroy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of notation involving the Minkowski space and the tensor product symbol in the context of vector spaces and manifolds. The concept of the cotangent bundle and cotangent space is also mentioned. It is suggested that TM* may be a variation on this notation and the use of the T symbol is explained.
Gavroy
hi
can somebody explain this notation to me
Let M be the minkowski space, then there is a space:

[TEX]TM* \otimes TM*[/TEX]

For some reason, this latex code does not work:

TM* (tensorproduct) TM*

I don't really get what this T tells me?

Can somebody explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This has nothing to do with vector spaces, linear algebra, or abstract algebra. This post should be removed.

I've seen [itex]T^*M[/itex] used to mean the cotangent bundle of a manifold, and [itex]T^*_pM[/itex] the cotangent space associated with point [itex]p \in M[/itex] (e.g. Lee: Riemannian Manifolds, p. 17), where M is the underlying set of the manifold. The use of the tensor product symbol in this context is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product#Tensor_product_of_vector_spaces

In this context, I would read [itex]T^*_P M \otimes T^*_p M[/itex] to mean the vector space whose vectors are tensors that can be written in the form

[tex]\sum_{\mu = 0}^3 \sum_{\nu=0}^3 \omega_{\mu\nu} \mathbf{e}^\mu \otimes \mathbf{e}^\nu[/tex]

where [itex]\omega_{\mu\nu}[/itex], for all possible values of mu and nu, are the coefficients, a.k.a. (scalar) components, and [itex]\mathbf{e}^\mu[/itex], for all possible values of mu (or nu, as the case may be), are basis covectors, i.e. basis vectors of the dual space to the tangent space associated with point p of, in this case, Minkowski space.

My first guess would be that your TM* is a variation on this notation. Does that seem likely from the context? (With no star, I'd read TM as the tangent bundle on M, and TpM the tangent space associated with point p.)

Last edited:

1. What is the tensor product (TM*) in scientific terms?

The tensor product, denoted as TM*, is a mathematical operation that combines two mathematical objects to create a new object. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the relationship between two physical systems.

2. How is the tensor product (TM*) different from regular multiplication?

The tensor product is different from regular multiplication in that it is not commutative, meaning the order in which the objects are multiplied matters. Additionally, the resulting object of a tensor product is not just a simple number, but a combination of both objects involved.

3. What are some real-world applications of the tensor product (TM*)?

The tensor product (TM*) has a wide range of applications in different fields, such as quantum mechanics, computer science, and signal processing. It is used to describe the interactions between particles, create new data structures, and analyze signals and images.

4. How can understanding the tensor product (TM*) benefit my research?

Understanding the tensor product (TM*) can benefit your research by providing a powerful tool to describe complex relationships between different objects. It can also aid in developing new models and theories in various fields, such as physics, mathematics, and computer science.

5. Are there any limitations to using the tensor product (TM*)?

One limitation of using the tensor product (TM*) is that it can become computationally expensive when dealing with large datasets. It also requires a strong understanding of linear algebra and abstract mathematics, making it challenging for those without a strong mathematical background to use effectively.