Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space

1. Aug 21, 2014 #1
    I am trying to self study linear algebra. This might seem like a very silly question but what does
    R subscript 3 mean in the context of linear algebra. I am NOT talking about R ^ 3 which is 3 dimensional vector space

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may have to provide more information. Where did you see this notation? How was it used?

It could perhaps be the 3rd component of an ordered n-tuple ##(R_1,\dots,R_n)##.

4. Aug 22, 2014 #3
    Means nothing. Whatever source you are reading would have to specify what it meant because it isn't anything standard, as far as I'm aware (usually, even standard things are often defined somewhere, unless they are super-standard, like R^3 is).

5. Aug 22, 2014 #4
    Actually, I suppose it could mean the 3rd row of a matrix.

6. Aug 22, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Has the author of the particular book or other site you have found this in already used R3 to mean three dimensional real space? If not, although it would not be standard notation, he might be using R3 to mean that. Otherwise, I agree with Fredrick and homeomorphic. It might be the third component of a vector "R" or the third row of a matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook