1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Space

1. Oct 28, 2014 #1
    • OP warned about not using the homework template
    Let B be a non-zero mx1 matrix, and let A be an mxn matrix. Show that the set of solutions to the system AX=B is not a vector space.

I am thinking that I need to show that the solution is not consistent. In order to do so would I need to show that B is not in the column space of A?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a lot simpler than that. A vector space is supposed to contain a zero vector.

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3
    So unless B is a zero vector than in any case AX=B can not be a vector space? It must be AX=0, or the null space?

5. Oct 28, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's kind of confusing, but if X=0 doesn't solve your system then the set of solutions isn't a vector space.

6. Oct 28, 2014 #5
    Sorry, I am still trying to wrap my head around vector spaces. Could you elaborate why X=0 must solve the system to be a vector space.

7. Oct 28, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When does a set of vectors constitute a vector space? You'll need to look up the definition if you can't recall. The answer is there.

8. Oct 28, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If x and y both satisfy Ax= B, Ay= B, then A(x+ y)= Ax+ Ay= B+ B= 2B. Unless B= 0, x+ y does NOT satisfy the equation A(x+ y)= B so is NOT in this set. The set is not closed under addition, so is not a vector space.

9. Oct 28, 2014 #8
    1) Vector addition of vectors u,v
    2) Scalar multiplication of a real number a, and u
    3) A vector space has to have a zero vector

10. Oct 28, 2014 #9
    Since AX=B does not satisfy 3 because if X=0 then B must be a zero vector then it is not a vector space. Am I correct?

11. Oct 28, 2014 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you are correct. Some other properties don't work either as Halls pointed out. But that's the easiest one to check.

12. Oct 28, 2014 #11
    Much appreciated for the help from the both of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted