Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Space

1. Jun 21, 2005 #1
    Let M2 be the vector space of 2 x 2 matrices.How to find a basis for the subspace of M2 consisting of symmetric matrices.
    The problem it creates for me is that i ca guess the solution but i don't have any symstematic procedure in mind... :cry:

Pls help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For Mn, you take the n matrices that are all zeroes except have a single 1 on the diagonal, plus the n(n-1)/2 matrices that have zeroes everywhere except a 1 in the i-j position and a 1 in the j-i position, where i and j are unequal. I don't think you can get any more "systematic" than this.
  4. Jun 21, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

better maybe just take your guess and try to prove it is independent and spans.

or here ios an idea: try to write down amap from some standard vector space R^t to the symmetric amtrices, in such a way that your maop is linear and an isomorphism. then it trakes a basis of the standard space to a basis of those matrices.

i.e. map say (1,0,0) to a symmetric 2by2 matrix, and (0,1,0) to another one and (0,0,1) to another one.

i.e. try mapping "upper triangular" matrices isomorphically to symmetricm ones.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  5. Jun 24, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any 2 by 2 symmetric matrix must be of the form [tex]\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ b & c\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for some numbers a, b, c.
    Taking a= 1, b= c= 0 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex].
    Taking a= 0, b= 1, c= 0 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex].
    Taking a= b= 0, c= 1 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Those matrices form a basis for the 3 dimensional space.

In other words, write the general matrix with constants a, b, etc. and take each succesively equal to 1, the others 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?