Vector Space

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
Let M2 be the vector space of 2 x 2 matrices.How to find a basis for the subspace of M2 consisting of symmetric matrices.
The problem it creates for me is that i ca guess the solution but i don't have any symstematic procedure in mind... :cry:

Pls help

AKG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For Mn, you take the n matrices that are all zeroes except have a single 1 on the diagonal, plus the n(n-1)/2 matrices that have zeroes everywhere except a 1 in the i-j position and a 1 in the j-i position, where i and j are unequal. I don't think you can get any more "systematic" than this.

mathwonk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
better maybe just take your guess and try to prove it is independent and spans.

or here ios an idea: try to write down amap from some standard vector space R^t to the symmetric amtrices, in such a way that your maop is linear and an isomorphism. then it trakes a basis of the standard space to a basis of those matrices.

i.e. map say (1,0,0) to a symmetric 2by2 matrix, and (0,1,0) to another one and (0,0,1) to another one.

i.e. try mapping "upper triangular" matrices isomorphically to symmetricm ones.

Last edited:

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Any 2 by 2 symmetric matrix must be of the form [tex]\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ b & c\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for some numbers a, b, c.
Taking a= 1, b= c= 0 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex].
Taking a= 0, b= 1, c= 0 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex].
Taking a= b= 0, c= 1 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Those matrices form a basis for the 3 dimensional space.

In other words, write the general matrix with constants a, b, etc. and take each succesively equal to 1, the others 0.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving