Finding a Basis for M2's Symmetric Matrices

In summary, to find a basis for the subspace of M2 consisting of symmetric matrices, you can take the matrices of the form \begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ b & c\end{pmatrix} with a, b, c as constants, and set each constant equal to 1 while the others are 0. These matrices will form a basis for the subspace. Alternatively, you can map upper triangular matrices to symmetric matrices isomorphically to find a basis.
heman
Let M2 be the vector space of 2 x 2 matrices.How to find a basis for the subspace of M2 consisting of symmetric matrices.
The problem it creates for me is that i ca guess the solution but i don't have any symstematic procedure in mind... :cry:

Pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
For Mn, you take the n matrices that are all zeroes except have a single 1 on the diagonal, plus the n(n-1)/2 matrices that have zeroes everywhere except a 1 in the i-j position and a 1 in the j-i position, where i and j are unequal. I don't think you can get any more "systematic" than this.

better maybe just take your guess and try to prove it is independent and spans.

or here ios an idea: try to write down amap from some standard vector space R^t to the symmetric amtrices, in such a way that your maop is linear and an isomorphism. then it trakes a basis of the standard space to a basis of those matrices.

i.e. map say (1,0,0) to a symmetric 2by2 matrix, and (0,1,0) to another one and (0,0,1) to another one.

i.e. try mapping "upper triangular" matrices isomorphically to symmetricm ones.

Last edited:
Any 2 by 2 symmetric matrix must be of the form [tex]\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ b & c\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for some numbers a, b, c.
Taking a= 1, b= c= 0 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex].
Taking a= 0, b= 1, c= 0 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex].
Taking a= b= 0, c= 1 gives [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Those matrices form a basis for the 3 dimensional space.

In other words, write the general matrix with constants a, b, etc. and take each succesively equal to 1, the others 0.

What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements above and below the main diagonal are mirror images of each other. This means that the entry at row i and column j is equal to the entry at row j and column i.

Why is finding a basis for M2's symmetric matrices important?

Finding a basis for M2's symmetric matrices is important because it allows us to represent any symmetric matrix as a linear combination of a set of basis matrices. This makes it easier to manipulate and analyze these matrices, as well as solve equations involving them.

How do you find a basis for M2's symmetric matrices?

To find a basis for M2's symmetric matrices, we can use the fact that any symmetric matrix can be written as A = QΛQT, where Λ is a diagonal matrix containing the eigenvalues of A and Q is an orthogonal matrix containing the corresponding eigenvectors. The columns of Q can then be used as a basis for the symmetric matrices in M2.

Can there be more than one basis for M2's symmetric matrices?

Yes, there can be multiple bases for M2's symmetric matrices. This is because any non-zero multiple of a basis matrix is also a basis for the same space.

What are some applications of symmetric matrices and their bases?

Some applications of symmetric matrices and their bases include solving systems of equations, analyzing symmetric structures in physics and engineering, and data compression and signal processing in computer science.