Exploring Vector Spaces and Dimensions: A Homework Challenge

In summary: Yes, sorry.For the answer of 7 would the following be okay?A={(a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,0,h) |a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h are Real}B={(a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,h,i) |a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i are Real}Then dim A = 8, dim B = 9,but A∩B = ({a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,0,0)|a,b,
RVP91

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

From my notes I'm aware of the following equation: dim(A + B) = dimA + dimB − dim(A ∩ B).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming part of the solution involves the equation above and rearranging it but I'm not sure how I would determine dim(A + B). I also know A + B := <A ∪ B> = = {a + b: a ∈ A, b ∈ B} but I can't see where to go.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since dim(B)> dim(A), it is not possible for B to be a subset of A but consider the situation of A being a subset of B. That will give the largest possible size of [itex]A\subset B[/itex]. To find the smallest possible size think about how separate A and B can be. For example if U had only dimension 9, all of A would have to be in B! But if U had dimension 17= 8+ 9, A and be could be "completely" separate, having only the 0 vector in common.

I'm not too sure where to go from what you said.

Following from having only the 0 vector in common this would mean A and B would only contain one element and so have dimension 1?

Also is the equation I stated relevant because then would I also need to work out A + B and thus dim(A + B).

I'm sure what you said probably is a big hint but I can't seem to figure out where to go, could you please provide more help?

Thanks

No, that was not my point! A and B cannot have "only the zero vector in common" since then the dimension of their direct sum would be 8+ 9= 17 which is impossible in only 10 dimensions. That's the key idea! As you say, [itex]dim(A+ B)= dim(A)+ dim(B)- dim(A\cap B)[/itex]. Here dim(A)+ dim(B)= 8+ 9= 17 while dim(A+ B) cannot be larger than 10. So, at most, [itex]10= 8+ 9- dim(A\cap B)[/itex].

(The dimension of the "space" containing only the zero vector is 0, not 1, by the way.)

Oh right I see. So dim(A∩B) must be at least 7 and at most 17?

No, that's not at all right! [itex]A\cap B[/itex] is a subset of A so it can't possibly have dimension greater than the dimension of A.

Apologies for causing any frustration but after having a rethink I have now arrived at the following(which could be wrong again),

A+B is a subset of V, therefore,
dim(A+B) <= dim(V) = 10, therefore,
dim(A+B) <= 10.

Then, dim(A+B) = dim(A) + dim(B) - dim(A∩B) = 17-dim(A∩B) <= 10
and so, dim(A∩B) >= 7.

But A∩B is a subset of A and a subset of B, thus
dim(A∩B) <= dim(A) = 8
and dim(A∩B) <= dim(B) =9.

Therefore, dim(A∩B) <= 8.

Giving, dim(A∩B) = 7 or 8?

Could someone check what I wrote above please?

Thanks.

What you wrote is correct.

But please wait before bumping your thread after 24 hours have passed, thank you.

Okay thanks and apologies.

Could anyone help me out with the part concerning "Give an example illustrating each
possible value." What are they actually asking for?

They want you to give specific examples of V, A, B such that dim(A)=8, dim(B)=9 and [itex]dim(A\cap B)[/itex] is 8 or 9.

I suggest taking [itex]V=\mathbb{R}^{10}[/itex], then dim(V)=10 as required. Now, how would you pick A and B?

I'm not totally sure but could you take A = {(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,0,0) | a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h are Real} and B = {(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,0) |a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i are Real}?

Somehow I think that's wrong though :s

RVP91 said:
I'm not totally sure but could you take A = {(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,0,0) | a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h are Real} and B = {(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,0) |a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i are Real}?

Somehow I think that's wrong though :s

OK, that's good. What is [itex]dim(A\cap B)[/itex] in this case?

Would it equal to dim(A) and so 8?

RVP91 said:
Would it equal to dim(A) and so 8?

Correct! So that's one example.

Now, can you find an example where [itex]dim(A\cap B)=7[/itex]??
Hint: A and B have to span V.

Does it not need to equal 7? As my answer before was dim(A∩B) = 7 or 8, not 8 or 9?

RVP91 said:
Does it not need to equal 7? As my answer before was dim(A∩B) = 7 or 8, not 8 or 9?

Yes, sorry.

For the answer of 7 would the following be okay?

A={(a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,0,h) |a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h are Real}
B={(a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,h,i) |a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i are Real}
Then dim A = 8, dim B = 9,
but A∩B = ({a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,0,0)|a,b,c,d,e,f,g are Real} and this has dimension 7?

Also going back to my earlier working was it correct to say A∩B was a subset of A of should I have said it is a subspace of A?

Thanks for all the help so far it much appreciated.

RVP91 said:
For the answer of 7 would the following be okay?

Then dim A = 8, dim B = 9,
but A∩B = ({a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,0,0)|a,b,c,d,e,f,g are Real} and this has dimension 7?

This is incorrect. The correct intersection is

[tex]A\cap B=\{(a,b,0,c,d,e,f,g,0,h)|a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h\in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]

(notice the h in the last coordinate which is nonzero unlike your example).

Like I said, you need to make sure that A and B together span the space.

Also going back to my earlier working was it correct to say A∩B was a subset of A of should I have said it is a subspace of A?

It's both a subset and a subspace, so saying it's a subset isn't wrong. But it indeed seems more appropriate to call it a subspace here.

I'm not getting very far, could you give another hint perhaps?

Thanks.

With your previous example:

RVP91 said:

You put a 0 in the third place in both A and B. What if you don't put a 0 in the same place?

Would this work?

A={(a,b,c,d,0,e,f,g,h,0)}
B={(a,0,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i)}

Then A and B span R^10 since a linear combiantion Q(a,b,c,d,0,e,f,g,h,0) + P(a,0,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i) = (Qa+Qb,Qb,Qc+Pb,...) = (x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9,x10).

And also A∩B i think is equal to {(a,0,b,c,0,d,e,f,g,0).

Is that correct?

RVP91 said:
Would this work?

A={(a,b,c,d,0,e,f,g,h,0)}
B={(a,0,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i)}

Then A and B span R^10 since a linear combiantion Q(a,b,c,d,0,e,f,g,h,0) + P(a,0,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i) = (Qa+Qb,Qb,Qc+Pb,...) = (x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9,x10).

And also A∩B i think is equal to {(a,0,b,c,0,d,e,f,g,0).

Is that correct?

That's good!

So is that all correct now?

Also thank you so much for all the help!

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and operations that allow for the addition and multiplication of vectors. These operations must obey certain properties, such as closure and associativity, in order for the set to be considered a vector space.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

The properties of a vector space include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverse elements. These properties ensure that the set of vectors and operations follow the rules of linear algebra.

3. What is the difference between a vector space and a subspace?

A vector space is a set that satisfies all the properties of a vector space. A subspace, on the other hand, is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies all the properties of a vector space. In other words, a subspace is a smaller vector space contained within a larger vector space.

4. What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of independent vectors needed to span the entire space. It is also equal to the number of elements in a basis for the space. For example, a 2-dimensional vector space would require 2 independent vectors to span it.

5. Can a vector space have an infinite dimension?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite dimension. This means that the space requires an infinite number of independent vectors to span it. An example of an infinite-dimensional vector space is the space of all polynomials with real coefficients.