Is {(x,y): x>/0; y>/0} a Vector Space in R^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a set {(x,y): x≥0; y≥0} with standard operations in R^2 and whether it is a vector space. The conversation also clarifies the notation and discusses the requirements for being a vector space, including being closed under addition and scalar multiplication. It is determined that the set is not a vector space because it is not closed under scalar multiplication.

Homework Statement

Just started learning vector spaces... not as fun as matrices. Anyway, I have a problem here, and I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

It states: "The set {(x,y): x>/0; y>/0} with the standard operations in R^2." It asks me to prove whether or not it's a vector space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Does that mean I pick an arbitrary set u, let's say (4,6), and figure out if it forms a vector space using the ten axioms? I don't understand how that point would fit in R^2, so I'm missing something here.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: would it fail under axiom six (cU is in V)? Since if c is a negative number, U would be negative, which wouldn't satisfy the >/ requirement? Or am I learning this incorrectly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
012983 said:

Homework Statement

Just started learning vector spaces... not as fun as matrices. Anyway, I have a problem here, and I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

It states: "The set {(x,y): x>/0; y>/0} with the standard operations in R^2." It asks me to prove whether or not it's a vector space.
What does this notation - x>/0 - mean?
Is it supposed to say x >= 0? That's the usual notation.
012983 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Does that mean I pick an arbitrary set u, let's say (4,6),
That's neither arbitrary nor a set. That is a specific vector in R2 (i.e., in the plane.
012983 said:
and figure out if it forms a vector space using the ten axioms? I don't understand how that point would fit in R^2, so I'm missing something here.
Yes. Assuming you have to verify that all the axioms are true for this set, start with a couple of arbitrary vectors, such as u = <u1, u2> and v = <v1, v2>, and an arbitrary scalar.

Inasmuch as R2 is a vector space and you're dealing with a subset of it, perhaps all you need to do is show that your set is a subspace of R2. In that case, all you need to do is show that 1) <0, 0> is in your set, 2) the set is closed under addition, and 3) the set is closed under scalar multiplication.
012983 said:
Thanks for any help.

Edit: would it fail under axiom six (cU is in V)? Since if c is a negative number, U would be negative, which wouldn't satisfy the >/ requirement? Or am I learning this incorrectly?
I'm not sure what the ">/" requirement is.

Mark44 said:
What does this notation - x>/0 - mean?
Is it supposed to say x >= 0? That's the usual notation.
That's neither arbitrary nor a set. That is a specific vector in R2 (i.e., in the plane.
Yes. Assuming you have to verify that all the axioms are true for this set, start with a couple of arbitrary vectors, such as u = <u1, u2> and v = <v1, v2>, and an arbitrary scalar.

Inasmuch as R2 is a vector space and you're dealing with a subset of it, perhaps all you need to do is show that your set is a subspace of R2. In that case, all you need to do is show that 1) <0, 0> is in your set, 2) the set is closed under addition, and 3) the set is closed under scalar multiplication.

I'm not sure what the ">/" requirement is.

Sorry, had a brain fart there and forgot what the standard notation was... indeed I meant >=, or rather ≥.

Could you explain what it means to be closed under addition and scalar multiplication? For the former, does it mean that whenever two vectors within vector space V are added they will fall within vector space V? And similarly for scalar multiplication, that whenever a vector in vector space V is multiplied by a scalar it will fall within vector space V?

012983 said:
Sorry, had a brain fart there and forgot what the standard notation was... indeed I meant >=, or rather ≥.

Could you explain what it means to be closed under addition and scalar multiplication? For the former, does it mean that whenever two vectors within vector space V are added they will fall within vector space V?
Yes. If u and v are in the space, then u + v is also in the space.
012983 said:
And similarly for scalar multiplication, that whenever a vector in vector space V is multiplied by a scalar it will fall within vector space V?
Right.

Mark44 said:
Yes. If u and v are in the space, then u + v is also in the space.

Right.

So if u(4,2) is a vector within R^2, is it not a vector space since (I think) it fails the axiom 'cU is within V?' Given that x>=0 and y>=0 as defined in the problem statement.

012983 said:
So if u(4,2) is a vector within R^2, is it not a vector space since (I think) it fails the axiom 'cU is within V?' Given that x>=0 and y>=0 as defined in the problem statement.
A better way to say that is - <4, 2> is a vector in the set, but -1*<4, 2> = <-4, -2> is not in the set, so the set is not closed under scalar multiplication.

Mark44 said:
A better way to say that is - <4, 2> is a vector in the set, but -1*<4, 2> = <-4, -2> is not in the set, so the set is not closed under scalar multiplication.

Thanks, Mark44. Appreciate all your help.

Last edited:

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors, along with operations such as addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy a set of axioms or rules.

What are the basic properties of a vector space?

The basic properties of a vector space include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition, and the existence of a zero vector and additive inverses.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a mathematical object that only has magnitude. Vectors can be added and scaled, while scalars can only be multiplied by a vector to produce a new vector.

How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space, you must check if the vectors satisfy the axioms or rules of a vector space. These include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition, and the existence of a zero vector and additive inverses.

What are some real-life applications of vector spaces?

Vector spaces have many real-life applications, including in physics for representing forces and velocities, in computer graphics for representing points and transformations, and in machine learning for representing features and data points.