Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Vector Spaces Question

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    In a vector space can you limit the scalar. For example, if I have Vector space in ℤ2 can i only multiple integer scalars?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

In this case it is called a ##\mathbb{Z}-##module, i.e. the scalars are from a ring, in your example ##\mathbb{Z}##. Vector spaces are required to have a field as scalar domain, that is we have invertible elements as scalars (and of course ##0##). However, the field doesn't have to be "unlimited". E.g. ##\{0,1\}## is also a field.

4. Feb 1, 2017 #3

lavinia

Science Advisor

You can limit the scalars to a subfield of the field of scalars but then you have a different vector space. For instance the real line is a one dimensional vector space over the field of real numbers. If you limit the scalars to the field of rational numbers, then the real line is an infinite dimensional vector space over the field of rational numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted