1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Spaces Question

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1

I have a homework problem that I can't figure out and there is nothing in the book that helps me out. I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Let R^+ denote the set of postive real numbers. Define the operation of scalar muplication, denoted * (dot) by,

a*x = x^a

for each X (episilon) R^+ and for any real number a. Define the operation of addition, denoted +, by

x + y = x * y for all x, y (Epsilon)R^+

Thus for this system teh scalar product of -3 times 1/2 is given by

- 3 * 1/2 = (1/2)^-3 = 8

and the sume of 2 and 5 is given by

2 + 5 = 2 * 5 = 10

Is R^+ a vector space with these operations? Prove your answer.

The plus should be a plus with a circle around it but I couldnt figure out how to put it in there. Im also not sure how to make the epsilon either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is an epsilon ([itex]\epsilon[/itex]), you're looking for a different symbol, the "is a member or element of" relation ([itex]\in[/itex]). So you have:

[tex](\mathbb{R}^+, \oplus, \otimes)[/tex]

with the following definitions, for all x, y in R+ and all scalars (reals) [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]x \oplus y = x \times y[/tex]

[tex]\lambda \otimes x = x^{\lambda}[/tex]

Do you know the definition of a vector space? Basically, all you have to do is check that the operations are well-defined, and then show that they satisfy all the properties (like commutativity of addition, associativity of scalar multiplication, existence of identities, etc.).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?