Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector Spaces Question

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1

mpm

I have a homework problem that I can't figure out and there is nothing in the book that helps me out. I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Let R^+ denote the set of postive real numbers. Define the operation of scalar muplication, denoted * (dot) by,

a*x = x^a

for each X (episilon) R^+ and for any real number a. Define the operation of addition, denoted +, by

x + y = x * y for all x, y (Epsilon)R^+

Thus for this system teh scalar product of -3 times 1/2 is given by

- 3 * 1/2 = (1/2)^-3 = 8

and the sume of 2 and 5 is given by

2 + 5 = 2 * 5 = 10

Is R^+ a vector space with these operations? Prove your answer.

The plus should be a plus with a circle around it but I couldnt figure out how to put it in there. Im also not sure how to make the epsilon either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mpm

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is an epsilon ([itex]\epsilon[/itex]), you're looking for a different symbol, the "is a member or element of" relation ([itex]\in[/itex]). So you have:

[tex](\mathbb{R}^+, \oplus, \otimes)[/tex]

with the following definitions, for all x, y in R+ and all scalars (reals) [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]x \oplus y = x \times y[/tex]

[tex]\lambda \otimes x = x^{\lambda}[/tex]

Do you know the definition of a vector space? Basically, all you have to do is check that the operations are well-defined, and then show that they satisfy all the properties (like commutativity of addition, associativity of scalar multiplication, existence of identities, etc.).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook