1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector spaces

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)A is an invertible 5x5 matrix with complex elements. Find all the values of det(A) where adj(adj(A)) = A. Use the definition of the adjoint (transpose of cofactor matrix)

b) u1,u2,u3 are linearly independent vectors in V. We define:
    v1=u1+u2+u3, v2=u1-u2+u3, v3=-u1+3u3-u3
    Does Sp{u1,u2,u3}=Sp{v1,v2.v3} ?

2. Relevant equations
    a) The definition of adj(A)
    b) If A and B are subsets of space V then Sp(A) = SP(B) iff A is in Sp(B) and B is in Sp(A).

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I tried to use the definition of the adjoint to find the adjoint of adj(A) but it quickly got so complicated that I couldn't see how to calculate det(A) from it. Is there a way to use the fact that A is a 5x5 matrix to simplify things?
    b)I think that the answer is yes because obviously {v1,v2,v3} is in the span of {u1,u2,u3} because of their definition. And by solving the equation:
    [v1|v2|v3][x]=[un] for all 0<n<=3 I can show that every u is a linear combination of v's and so {u1,u2,u3} is in Sp{v1,v2,v3}. Is that right?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you say you used the definition of adj(A), do you mearn you used the definition, or the formula? adj(A), is the (unique for det=/=0) matrix satisfying A*adj(A)= det(A)*Id.

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I mean the formula: [tex] [adjA]_{ij} = (-1)^{i+j}*M_{ji} [/tex]
    Where [tex] M_{ji} [/tex] is the minor (ji). (by minor (j,i) I mean the det of the matrix obtained by taking away the jth row and the ith coloum)

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, I know that what was you used. I didn't ask for my benefit.

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Now, what relation does det(A) have to [tex] [adjA]_{ij} = (-1)^{i+j}*M_{ji} [/tex]?

As for B, you were told that u1, u2, and u3 are linearly independent. That means they are a basis for their span which must be of dimension 3. The real question is "Are v1, v2, and v3 linearly independent?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?