1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector spaces

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    Suppose V and W are vector spaces, and {v1....vn} is basis for V and T. S is an element of L(V, W). Suppose further that T(vi)=S(vi) for all i with 1<= i <=n. Show that S=T.

Here's what I think.

Because S is an element of L(V,W), S:V-->W means that S has a basis of {v1...vn}, and two vector spaces that form a bijective linear map (which S and T do because they have the same basis) are isomorphic. Moreover, because T(vi)=S(vi) then by their isomorphism, T and S must be equal.

This is the last question on my practice midterm and I'm unsure if this is how to proceed with the proof. Any comments, especially on how I could do this more "formally"?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose V and W are vector spaces, and {v1....vn} is basis for V and T. S is an element of L(V, W). Suppose further that T(vi)=S(vi) for all i with 1<= i <=n. Show that S=T.

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's what I think.

Because S is an element of L(V,W), S:V-->W means that S has a basis of {v1...vn}, and two vector spaces that form a bijective linear map (which S and T do because they have the same basis) are isomorphic. Moreover, because T(vi)=S(vi) then by their isomorphism, T and S must be equal.

This is the last question on my practice midterm and I'm unsure if this is how to proceed with the proof. Any comments, especially on how I could do this more "formally"?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maps (in L(V,W)) don't have bases. Vector spaces have bases. Can you rephrase the question knowing that?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(I suppose you also meant T is in L(V,W) as well.)

What do you mean when you say "S has a basis"?! S is a linear map, not a vector space. V is what has the basis {v_1, ..., v_n}. Now to show that S=T, it will be enough to show that T(v)=S(v) for all v in V. But each v in V has a unique representation in terms of the basis vectors. So use this (and don't forget that T and S are linear).

6. Nov 21, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? You mean, I think, that "{v1,..., vn} is a basis for V." and that "T and S are elements of L(V,W).

As Dick pointed out, linear maps do not have a basis! You mean that {v1,...,vn} is a basis for V (which you had already said). In order to prove that T= S, you must prove that T(v)= S(v) for any vector v in V. v can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors: v= a1v1+ ...+ a2v2. What happens if you apply both T and S to that?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  7. Nov 21, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This was also posted in the "homework" area so I am merging the two threads.

mrroboto, do NOT double post!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?