Checking Solution for c1, c2, and c3=0

• Thread starter gunnar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a system of equations and how to find the solution for c1, c2, and c3. The solution is found by specifying different values for t and solving the resulting equations. Interchanging the first and third equations can also help in finding the solution. The only solution to the system of equations is c1=c2=c3=0.
gunnar
I have :
c1(t+1) + c2(t^2 + 2) + c3(t^2 -t) = 0 for all t.
by specifying different values of t. I get
t=-1: 3c2 + 2c3=0
t=0: c1+2c2 =0
t=1:2c1 + 3c2 =0

How can I check that the only solution is c1=c2=cc3=0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply solve the system of equations you've just made for c1,c2,c3.

that's the problem I don't know how. I know it's simple but I just can't figure it out?

You have 3 equations in 3 unknowns; you've seen that before?

I've done this when I have a matrix in reduce or reduce echelon but then I only have x1 in one linem here I have c1 in 2nd and 3rd row and it's there I am stuck. I admit I'm not very good at this. If you possibly can would you be so kind to lead my on with this problem?? :smile:

Why don't you just interchange line 1 and line 3?
Interchanging "topmost equation" with "bottom-most equation" can't possibly change the solution, or what?

I got it. Thanks a lot :smile:

1. What does it mean to check a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0?

Checking a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0 means verifying whether a proposed set of values for c1, c2, and c3 satisfy the given equation or system of equations when c1, c2, and c3 are set to 0. This is often done to confirm the validity of a solution or to find potential solutions.

2. Why is it important to check a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0?

Checking a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0 is important because it ensures that the proposed values for c1, c2, and c3 satisfy the given equation or system of equations. This helps to avoid errors and verifies the accuracy of the solution.

3. How do you check a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0?

To check a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0, substitute 0 for c1, c2, and c3 in the given equation or system of equations. Then, solve the resulting equation or system to see if it is satisfied by the proposed values for c1, c2, and c3.

4. What if the solution for c1, c2, and c3=0 does not check out?

If the solution for c1, c2, and c3=0 does not check out, it means that the proposed values do not satisfy the given equation or system of equations. This could indicate an error in the solution process or that the proposed values are not valid solutions.

5. Can a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0 be checked for any type of equation?

Yes, a solution for c1, c2, and c3=0 can be checked for any type of equation or system of equations. Whether it is a linear, quadratic, or any other type of equation, substituting 0 for c1, c2, and c3 and solving the resulting equation will help to verify the validity of the proposed solution.