Determining if Set of Vectors Spans M2,2

• Thread starter yanjt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given set of vectors spans M2,2 and the definition of a set of vectors spanning a vector space. It is important to prove that any matrix in M2,2 can be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors, and that the set must also be independent.
yanjt
Hi,I have a question like this :
Determine whether the given set of vector spans M2,2
{(5 3;0 0),(0 0;5 3),(6 -1;0 0),(0 0;6 1)}

I wonder can I jus directly prove that
a(5 3;0 0)+b(0 0;5 3)+c(6 -1;0 0)+d(0 0;6 1) = (5a+6c 3a-c;5b+6d 3b+d)
is also a M2,2 and hence,it is a vector sets spans M2,2?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of a set of vectors spanning the whole of the vectors space is what? Because you've not stated it, nor verified it is true.

Note that this being M_2,2, is irrelevant: it is just a 4-d vector space, so there's no need to write things as matrices.

yanjt said:
Hi,I have a question like this :
Determine whether the given set of vector spans M2,2
{(5 3;0 0),(0 0;5 3),(6 -1;0 0),(0 0;6 1)}

I wonder can I jus directly prove that
a(5 3;0 0)+b(0 0;5 3)+c(6 -1;0 0)+d(0 0;6 1) = (5a+6c 3a-c;5b+6d 3b+d)
is also a M2,2 and hence,it is a vector sets spans M2,2?

Thanks a lot!

No, the fact that the particular linear combination is in M2,2 only means that these matrices span some subspace of M2,2- which is true of any collection of matrices in M2,2. What you must prove is that any matrix in M2,2 can be written as a linear combination of them.

(u v; x y) is in M2,2 for any real numbers u, v, x, y. Can you find a, b, c, d such that a(5 3;0 0)+b(0 0;5 3)+c(6 -1;0 0)+d(0 0;6 1)= (u v; x y) for any u, v, x, y?

Also, since, as Matt Grime said, this is a 4 dimensional space and your set contains exactly 4 matrices, this set spans M2,2 if and only if it is independent. If a(5 3;0 0)+b(0 0;5 3)+c(6 -1;0 0)+d(0 0;6 1)= (0 0; 0 0), what must a, b, c, d be?

1. What is the definition of "span" in relation to vectors?

The span of a set of vectors refers to the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all possible ways to combine the vectors using multiplication and addition.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors spans a specific space, such as M2,2?

To determine if a set of vectors spans a space, you can create a matrix using the given vectors as columns. Then, use row operations to convert the matrix into reduced row-echelon form. If the resulting matrix has a pivot in every row, the vectors span the specified space. If there is a row without a pivot, the vectors do not span the space.

3. Can a set of vectors span more than one space?

Yes, it is possible for a set of vectors to span more than one space. However, it is important to note that the span of a set of vectors always includes the zero vector, so even if the vectors span multiple spaces, they must all contain the zero vector.

4. How does the number of vectors in a set affect whether or not they span a space?

The number of vectors in a set can determine whether or not they span a space. In order for a set of vectors to span a space, the number of vectors must be equal to or greater than the dimension of the space. For example, in the case of M2,2, at least two vectors are needed to span the space.

5. Can a set of vectors span a space if it contains duplicate vectors?

Yes, a set of vectors can still span a space if it contains duplicate vectors. This is because the span of a set of vectors is defined by all possible linear combinations, so if a vector is duplicated, it will still contribute to the span in the same way as the original vector.